Views
Helpful
Replies

Router for VoIP

aosandoval
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

We currently having 2821 routers in our HQ and DR Site.

We also have 2811 routers in our remote offices (4)

In our HQ and DR sites we are experiencing packet drops, routers are not able to keep up with data traffic.

Cisco TAC has suggested us to upgrade both routers.

Since we are planning to move to Voice over IP in the next year,

Which router should I choose?

I have been checking the 2921 (that is the replacement for the 2821), but I am not sure if that is the correct option.

I am not a VoIP savvy, so if you need more info, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

6 Replies 6

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you're dropping packets due to insufficient CPU, a "faster" router would be needed, this assuming that your exiting configuration is already optimal.

If you're dropping packets due to insufficient bandwidth, you might need large capacity links, and larger capacity links often increase the load on the router, so you might also need, again, a "faster" router.

In the last paragraph I used "might" because even a link running at capacity and/or dropping packets doesn't always "need" more bandwidth, even to support VoIP across it.  Any time you have a network link that can be oversubscribed, drops might occur.

Insufficient details to truly say what you might really need.

PS:

The 2921 rated performance is nearly the same as a 3845.  Although that's quite a jump from a 2821, w/o details cannot say whether this is "not enough", "just right", or "too much" for your needs.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In our HQ and DR sites we are experiencing packet drops, routers are not able to keep up with data traffic.

What is your WAN speed?

Without complex acl's and other services (nat, firewalling), it is hard to see how a 2821 would be unable to keep up with data traffic. The 2921 would be the most logical choice for a replacement but when considering the migration to VOIP you may also need to terminate a PSTN link like an E1/T1. This is where the extra slots in the 3925/3945 may be rerquired.

The best advice I can give you is to make the design for the VOIP solution before deciding on replacement routers.

regards,

Leo

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Without complex acl's and other services (nat, firewalling), it is hard to see how a 2821 would be unable to keep up with data traffic. The 2921 would be the most logical choice for a replacement but when

Re: "hard to see", that true w/o knowing what type of WAN "speeds" the 2821 is dealing with. If it was connected to an T3/E3 or a FastEthernet handoff, the 2821 could easily "be unable to keep up with data traffic." with sustained full bandwidth of such links.

The 2900 has pvdm v3 that contain higher dsp support for voice but again. With voice you need to consider your requirements is this gonna be used as CUBE, voice gateway to pstn with PRI for example and how many links

Are you planing to use additional tdm ports like the FXS for analog and fax end points, once you know the requirements then you can decide which one is the best for you as with routing or as WAN router the hardware requirement is not alleyways the same

Not to mention with the ISR G2 including the 2900 you need to consider buy a license for any feature you need for example with voice you wil need a UC license

Hope this help

HQ to all remote offices (4) --> 70 MB

HQ to DR (bridge network) --> 60 MB

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card