cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

router redundancy for MPLS BGP

Amafsha1
Level 2
Level 2

Hello, I'm in the midst of setting up redundant MPLS routers to connect up all our branches.  We currently only have 1 WAN router for MPLS and are adding a second.  I have attached a picture that will make the story more clear.  For the sake of this argument, I'm only concerned about outbound routing out of my AS destined to the branches....in which I will be using LOCAL_PREF to advertise to everyone who speaks iBGP in my network.

I have made the following route-map and would like to add it to my 2 WAN routers in the following fashion:

WAN Router 1#

!

route-map main-route permit 10

match ip address prefix-list all-branches

set local pref 200

!

ip prefix-list all-branches 0.0.0.0/0 le 32

!

router bgp 65656

neighbor ISP-Router route-map main-route in

!

--------------------------------------------

WAN Router 2#

!

route-map secondary-route permit 10

match ip address prefix-list all-branches

set local pref 150

!

ip prefix-list all-branches 0.0.0.0/0 le 32

!

router bgp 65656

neighbor ISP-Router route-map secondary-route in

!

So my concern here is that all my branches are across so many different subnets that it is hard for me to make individual prefixes or even summarize in prefixes to touch all the branches, so instead I just made a prefix-list encompassing everything (0.0.0.0/0 le 32).  I was wondering if anyone sees any issues with this?   I've never done anything like this before, I don't personally see any issues with this but I just want everything that is destined to branches to go through WANRouter1 first, and if that fails, go to WAN Router2...

3 Replies 3

nazimkha
Level 4
Level 4
I didnt find your topology attached.

Do you want to do Active-Standby or do you want to do some kind of load-balancing ?
There are many methods to achieve load balancing as well as Active-Standby

You can find the information in below two links :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/13762-40.html
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/23675-27.html

Thanks a lot for responding.  File attached, my mistake sorry.  I already have the design part down as it is being done by a higher tier engineer, I just need to know whether specifying the 0.0.0.0/0 le 32 is a good idea and is correct in the prefix lists.  There will not be any load-sharing just active standby. 

Yes that correct.
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card