cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing loop is occurring while tracert to destination.

when i tried to ping the destination it is showing TTL expire in transit.

and when i do tracert loop is occurring between the 2 devices...

i have tried with ping -i 255 but no luck.

can any one please suggest me how to troubleshoot the issue...

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

The loop is caused because two devices think the other is the best path for the prefix you want to reach and as such both are forwarding the request on to each other.

If you check the route table of them you probably see that prefix is being advertised from its neighboring peer

Can you explain your topology so we can get a better understanding of your network

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello

The loop is caused because two devices think the other is the best path for the prefix you want to reach and as such both are forwarding the request on to each other.

If you check the route table of them you probably see that prefix is being advertised from its neighboring peer

Can you explain your topology so we can get a better understanding of your network

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Hi

I agree with Paul, you should verify the routing, check why the second IP (Router) is returning the packet it could be because it does not have other specific route to the destination just a default route pointing to the source or the next hop is not configured correctly. 

Is possible to see your configuration?

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card