Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing problem between router in PacketTracer

Drakestes
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, 
I am trying to setup a network with a web server in a private network that should be availaible from an outside network.
I have some probl;em with my routing route, and I have tried to give access to all ip by configurer ip route 0.0.0.0 on my routers interface.
The problèm is I am able to ping my outside computer from a computer in my private network, but I am unable to ping my web server from my outside computer. When I try to do so, the packet is traped in a loop between my 2 router (the isp one and my client one).
I tried everything I know to correct this, but nothing seems to work.
I have included my .pkt file and wonder if anyone can help me to solve this? 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Draketes,

the most specific route is preferred, the default route 0.0.0.0/0 should be used for going to the internet.

To reach a specific subnet like the one where the web server is connected you need to add specific static route(s).

The ISP router should use specific static routes to all the networks that are internal

Your router can use only a default route to the ISP router but it may need specific static routes for internal routes that are not directly connected to it but behind another layer 3 device.

Example:  web server is in net 10.10.10.0/24

you need a static route for the prefix

ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0   <next-hop-ip-address>

This should solve the routing loop if applied to the correct router with the correct next-hop. Likely your internal router I guess.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

I do not have PT with me right now, but I'll assume you have something like the attached picture.

As long you are not reusing any subnets it should work with

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 <IP of the other router>

do not forget to have the default gateway configured on the server and client

Rolando A. Valenzuela

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Draketes,

the most specific route is preferred, the default route 0.0.0.0/0 should be used for going to the internet.

To reach a specific subnet like the one where the web server is connected you need to add specific static route(s).

The ISP router should use specific static routes to all the networks that are internal

Your router can use only a default route to the ISP router but it may need specific static routes for internal routes that are not directly connected to it but behind another layer 3 device.

Example:  web server is in net 10.10.10.0/24

you need a static route for the prefix

ip route 10.10.10.0 255.255.255.0   <next-hop-ip-address>

This should solve the routing loop if applied to the correct router with the correct next-hop. Likely your internal router I guess.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you verry much! This as fixed my loop problem!
I will now be able to work on the next step! :)

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Hi

Sorry at Cisco Live with an iPad and can’t open your packet-tracer file.
Are you able to share a screenshot of your design and your config?

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card