cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing separate VLAN's through different physical interfaces

lf-sysadmin
Level 1
Level 1

We have a 4331 (3 phyiscal int) router at one of our sites.  1 interface is local, 1 is our TLS wan connection, and the third is our PTP self-hosted connection back to our main facility.  Now we have several different VLANS within our organization but the two that matter are our native VLAN and our voice VLAN (vlan 64).  In this specific site, because of the stability of the link, we want to route our voice vlan over the TLS connection Gi0/0/1, and the native vlan across the PTP connection (Gi0/0/2) as it is much faster and passes less critical traffic.  I can't seem to figure out how to route the traffic from sub-interface Gi0/0/0.1 (native), as well as all other vlans and traffic out interface Gi0/0/2 and traffic from sub-interface Gi0/0/0.64 (voice) out Gi0/0/1 though.  

We are currently just using the old router to route that traffic but would like to get rid of it.

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

There are things about your environment that we do not know and which might affect our suggestions. But based on what we know so far I would suggest that you do normal routing with a default route using a next hop on G0/0/2 and configure Policy Based Routing to forward traffic for voice vlan out G0/0/1.

HTH

Rick

I agree with @Richard Burts that it sounds like there is a lot more detail about your environment that we don't know, so that makes it kind of hard to give an absolute answer. I will say I personally have strong aversion to PBR in almost all cases. It is pretty CPU intense on the routers, and I have found it harder to use alternate paths if a link is down. My preference for this kind of situation would be to make some tweaks in the routing protocol (which you did not specify) to get the traffic pattern you desire under normal circumstances. With EIGRP (or other protocols), you could possibly use a summary route on one path, but leak a more specific route for the voice network over the path you want to use for that. Longest match is the first rule in IP path determination! If it is BGP, you can use a selection AS path prepend. Keep in mind how your traffic will route if the link you want to use for voice is down. You could end up making your life more difficult in a degraded situation depending on how you manipulate the traffic to take the path you want.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card