cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Routing subnet to 2 different gateways

kitkat0981
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,  I'm wondering if this is even possible.  I need to route a subnet from a 7204 to 2 different gateway's which are not Cisco based. I cannot use HSRP, GLBP or VRRP as the other 2 gateways don't support theses protocols. Yet they do support OSPF, RIP, and BGP....  Take note that this setup is in a ISP scenario.  How can I acheive gateway redundancy?  See attached PDF

4 Replies 4

zappo0305
Level 1
Level 1

Try Floating static routes

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

floating routing will be good if devices are "directly" connected and "DOWN" status on one side will be see by other side and set its port "DOWN" as well. If e.g. they are connected via an ethernet switch then statis floating routes should be configured together with a tracking (track object based on RTR/SLS object).

I'd sugest to try OSPF  - in such a simple configuration it will take you only 10 min for setting it up  and will work fast and reliable.

Can you explain to me how ospf would need to be configured? I have neer

configured ospf before.

Sent from my iPhone4 on IOS4

On Nov 9, 2011, at 9:31 AM, "konstantin.dounaev" <

I can say how to configure it on Cisco router.

router ospf 101

router-id

network 0.0.0.0 area 0

if all 3 routers are in the same subnet, you need to define only one "network" command, if there are two subnets, you should define each interface in "network" command.

on you 3rd part router you configure OSPF similuar and additionly put "LAN" interfcae into OSPF.

Update: if you 3rd party router use  static routes then you need some kind of redistribution into OSPF.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card