Views
Helpful
Replies

RSTP - Message Age

Juan Urti
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all!

Someone knows, in RSTP, when one switch receive a BPDU, how does the switches manipulate the message age timer in RSTP? Does it modify the message age?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Juan,

In RSTP, each non-root switch receives a BPDU on its Root Port with the Message Age set to N, N>=0. As a result, the switch itself will send out its own BPDUs with the Message Age set to N+1. A root swich sends its BPDUs with the Message Age set to 0.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Juan,

In RSTP, each non-root switch receives a BPDU on its Root Port with the Message Age set to N, N>=0. As a result, the switch itself will send out its own BPDUs with the Message Age set to N+1. A root swich sends its BPDUs with the Message Age set to 0.

Best regards,

Peter

Great Answer Peter, it was very useful.

Your answer, allows me to comprend how RSTP solve the Count to Infinity problem.

Thanks!!!!

Peter, really your answer is correct. I have verified with 4 switches and the wireshark.

The topology was a chain with:

SW1 -> SW2 -> SW3 -> SW4  where SW 1 is the root, and i have inspected the bpdu in sense SW3 (DP) to SW4 (RP).

SW1 send his bpdu with Message Age = 0

SW2 send his bpdu with Message Age = 1

SW3 send his bpdu with Message Age = 2

Thanks Again!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card