Views
Helpful
Replies

RV042 and the DMZ/Internet Port

jon.menefee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone

This has probably been worn into the ground but I am having hell trying to get good information on this, so here goes.

I have several servers in a Datacenter and I am using an RV042 Router to handle the traffic and routing.  It works great for now but this evening I wanted to put a Webserver online and I want it to be in the DMZ.  It is the only server in the group that will have unknown people accessing it so I dont want it to be behind the firewall or have any contact with the other servers in my rack.

So, here is what the datacenter gave me as far as IP addresses.

74.xxx.xxx.82 - 94 with 81 being the next hop up from my router 

74.xxx.xxx.94 is the IP address of the Router

I have not enabled the DMZ Port yet but will for this webserver.  I do not want to use DMZ hosting and I will tell you why in a bit.

The webserver I want to use is CentOS based and uses CPanel for the Control Panel.  If I put the server on the switch and assign it a static IP address of 192.168.XXX.30 it works fine except for the nagging DNS emails saying that "the FQDN resolves to 74.XXX.XXX.92 but it should resolve to 192.168.XXX.30"  Well, since this is a brand new server I want this thing to work properly, so I try and assign it an IP address of 74.XXX.XXX.92 and give it the GW address of 74.XXX.XXX.81 but then it hangs up and cannot get to the Internet.

So the gist of the question is this.  What steps do I take on the router to enable the DMZ and do I choose it as a subnet or make it a string of IPs that use the same WAN.  Whichever one I choose, what IP address do I put in there if I only want to use one single Public IP address.  Next, what IP address do I statically assign the server and what GW do I use?

Thanks for the patience and I hope I havent confused anyone yet :-)

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try small business forum, this one is for true Cisco products.

No worries.  It took so long for anyone to even say anything I went ahead and fixed the problem myself.  Too bad these forums dont appear to be monitored by anyone at Cisco.

And the last time I checked, the forums didnt say anything about posting questions about what Cisco routers to post questions about. 

Each Forum handles certain products or technologies. This one does not handle Linksys products.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card