Views
Helpful
Replies

SDSL Bonding with 1721 and 2x WIC-1SHDSL

danhawker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

Hopefully a quick and simple, question & answer :)

We have a 1721 here (IOS 12.3(9)), presently with a standard ADSL WIC inside for access. Our provider has now given us the option of SDSL and bonded SDSL too, which we would like to implement.

As I understand the 1721 can do this, however I can't seem to find much info or config examples on the web to achieve this, equally I'd like some real-world experience of whether this will work as anticipated or not.

We presently use the 1721 for some light VPN access by some of our reps using the client and also for one of our stores via a tunnel.

This we will eventually hive off to a dedicated VPN box (firewall, concentrator, whatever), however it will still be required when we initially set it up.

So, what I'd like to achieve is a bonded SDSL service using our 1721, 2 SDSL lines (we will remove the existing ADSL solution) and 2 WIC-1SHDSL cards.

Can someone please post or point me towards some examples so that I can take a look *before* we implement it all.

I have also noted that Cisco have recently launched the WIC-1SHDSL-v2, which has 4-core functionality. This would obviously be simpler, however will need to find out whether our provider will support this config. Am I right in thinking that the 4-core model will alleviate some of the bonding issues as it will handle all of this internally on the card???

Does this sound like a reasonable plan and any experience with bonded SDSL, esp on a 1721. Is it man enough for the job or should I be looking at another option???

TIA

Dan

2 Replies 2

Hello,

the WIC-1SHDSL-v2 card can handle speeds up to 4,6MB, which is twice the 2,3MB the WIC-1SHDSL can handle, so if your provider supports this, it would alleviate the need for the card bonding.

If you need to bond two WIC-1SHDSL cards, I think you will have to use a virtual template, the config would look something like this:

interface Virtual-Template1

no ip address

ppp multilink

ppp multilink group 1

!

interface ATM0/0

no ip address

no atm ilmi-keepalive

pvc 8/35

encapsulation aal5mux ppp virtual-template 1

!

dsl equipment-type CO

dsl operating-mode GSHDSL symmetric annex A

dsl linerate AUTO

!

interface ATM0/1

no ip address

no atm ilmi-keepalive

pvc 8/36

encapsulation aal5mux ppp virtual-template 1

!

dsl equipment-type CO

dsl operating-mode GSHDSL symmetric annex A

dsl linerate AUTO

I have no equipment to test this with, so I am not sure if this works as expected, but you might want to give it a try...

HTH,

GP

Hi GP,

Thanks for that, I'll give it a bash. I am hoping our provider will support the v2 card as this will make things easier.

If not, will have a go with the virtual template function. Guess I'll have to revisit my CISCO docs :)

Thanks again

Dan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card