Views
Helpful
Replies

Segment Routing Test Justification

Dear All ,

Hope you all are doing well

I did a test and get some results and I need your opinion about the results

on the attached topology  I did IPerf3 as the following 
-  512 K bandwidth test from PE-01to PE-02 (Fixed )
- increasing the bandwidth between P-01 and P-03 (Network 11.0.0.0) from 512K  to 8 Mb/s ( variable ) 

I tested with and without SR

with SR the traffic will go also trough the link between P-01 and P-03 (Network 11.0.0.0) and I was using UDP

with OSPF only I got losses after 1 M (on network 11.0.0.0)

But with SR I noticed no Losses but jitter increased 

I think there is a sort of buffering that’s why jitter increased but Losses disappeared but I think segment routing should not do buffering 

What do you think the justification for that behaviour and do you think it is something standard with SR or something special with Cisco implementation

is it buffering or something else ?

topology.jpg

3 Replies 3

any help on the below question ? :) 

Hello Muhammad,

>>

But with SR I noticed no Losses but jitter increased

I think there is a sort of buffering that’s why jitter increased but Losses disappeared but I think segment routing should not do buffering

As far as I know about Segment Routing the increase in latency and variation on latency should not be caused by buffering but by forms of re-routing over an alternate Segment Routing path.

Take it as just a guess and not a definitive answer.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hello Giuseppe , 

Many thanks for your reply 

yes i think if there is alternative routes there should be a sort of re-routing but what if i forced the traffic to go through this route or there was no alternative routes 

is that an advantage to keep no losses however some increase in latency or jitter ?
can idea about how SR thinking in such situation ?

sorry for asking alot but it is a thesis and justification and different scenarios help in such cases 

Thanks again and much appreciate your support 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card