Views
Helpful
Replies

Selecting hardware.

tonywhyte87
Level 1
Level 1

Hey,

I am doing a project and I am now at the stage where I have to select routers for sites. There are 5 sites, they don't require any special features but three of the offices are large between 160-300 users and the other two have 35-65 users. I am finding it hard to get information on which hardware to use. I need to allow for a growth of 50%. From what I managed to find so far I would need Cisco 3800 for the small offices and something like a 7200 for the larger offices. Could someone please give me information on what routers to use or how to decide?

Tony

8 Replies 8

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

These are old models. You need to specifiy what is the access circuit type and speed for each site. Numner of users mostly doesn't matter.

Well the sites are going to be connected via MPLS. Not sure if the ISP will be handling all MPLS or if our routers will have to provide MPLS facilities?

No matter what, you need to know the circuit speed or leased bandwidth, to choose the right router.

I think it will be around 10Mbps?

You can use small routers like 88x or 89x or 19xx for such speeds.

Do you think a 2821 would do a good job?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A 2821 would easily handle 10 Mbps, but as Paolo noted, a newer/smaller router would too.

I think it will be around 10Mbps?

You "think"???  You need to be sure it's either 10 Mbps or not.

Will this bandwidth grow or not?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card