Views
Helpful
Replies

Serial Data Transport

Faheem Ansari
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am getting some real time data from Electronic Devices over Serial Interface (RS232) and this Serial interface is conected to my Monitor Application System to view all information on real Time. I want to know, can I connect my Serial Interface to my Cisco Router and transport this data transparently over WAN and view this from remote site.

Scenario:

EDs (RS232) ------> Cisco Router (WIC-2T) ------> WAN Cloud ------> Cisco Router (WIC-2T)-------> (RS232) Terminal Monitor

there is no Layer 2 or layer 3 involved in Serial Connection....

help wil be highly appreciable..

Regards,

6 Replies 6

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are these synchronous or asynchronous devices ?

its asynchronous signalling, getting raw data and want to transport as it is over WAN...

You use asynchronous inerface for this, not wic-2T.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk36/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080160c4d.shtml

Please remember to rate useful posts clicking on the stars below.

Hi Paolo,

Actually I believe that even the WIC-2T can be configured to work in async mode - although for the async mode up to 115 Kbps, the WIC-2A/S is completely enough.

Best regards,

Peter

Actually I believe that even the WIC-2T can be configured to work in async mode - although for the async mode up to 115 Kbps, the WIC-2A/S is completely enough.

That is correct. But WIC-2A/S (or HWIC-2A/S for ISR and ISR G2), is cheaper and a "safer" choice.

document was helpful but I want some configuration examples, i am using WIC-1T and WIC-2T because data rate is not very high its only 19.5Kbps needs to be transport over WAN...

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card