Views
Helpful
Replies

Setting the MPLS EXP Bit for exceed or conform action

udo.konstantin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm currently confused about the difference between set-mpls-exp-imposition-transmit <value> and set-mpls-exp-topmost-transmit <value>

I know both commands will set the EXP bit within the MPLS header under policy-map. 

AFAIK the only difference is the behaviour on how the policy-map will be applied ?! Inbound or outbound ? 

Any comments ?

Thanks 

2 Replies 2

Nagendra Kumar Nainar
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

The imposition set command will set the EXP value to all labels getting imposed. Normally useful/used in ingress nodes where label imposition happens.

The topmost set command will set/change the EXP value of the topmost label. THis is used in transit node in outbound direction where the EXP value will be set to the swapped topmost label. It doeest change anything to the inner label.

HTH,

Nagendra

Nagendra,

thanks a lot for your answer. 

I'm not a native english speaker and not sure if I correct understand what are the main differences between these two commands.

What does it mean with "getting imposed" ? 

As I understand the "set topmost" command (can) change the EXP value to any other defined value on the transit path or on a PE router "egress" ! Ist it possible to change with this command also ingress "to a customer" ?

Thanks 

Udo

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card