cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

shape average effect for the entire pipe??

jacob6000
Level 1
Level 1

Okay, so I used Josephs's example from a previous post.  I'm combining snippets from two of his posts actually. My question is:

If I have 75mb down and 5mb up, how does the "shape average 42500000" command below affect the download speeds? Won't the router attempt to behave like the connection is only 5mb, period?  Or does that only kick in during times of congestion?

I have to think that once traffic starts being policed, drops and retransmissions  will occur because the router is attempting to mimic a 5mb pipe. (??)

BTW, have  read several articles on the "shape average" command. I couldn't find a clear answer on this.

policy-map VoIP
class real-time
priority percent 33
class HiPriority
bandwidth remaining 81 percent
fair-queue
class LoPriority
bandwidth remaining 1 percent
fair-queue
class class-default
bandwidth remaining 9 percent
fair-queue

policy-map QOS
class class-default
shape average 42500000 --> 75mb down but 5mb up
service-policy VoIP

interface gi0/1
bandwidth 76800
service-policy output QOS

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A shaper isn't supported on an "in" policy.  Assuming you've applied the policy on the interface connected to the 75/5 link, it would only affect your 5 Mbps up.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

A shaper isn't supported on an "in" policy.  Assuming you've applied the policy on the interface connected to the 75/5 link, it would only affect your 5 Mbps up.

It is applied on the out. And Thank you.

I will say from my performance testing in the past, with and without the QoS policy, there is a small decrease in throughput overall. 

Thanks,

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card