Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

SNMP Traps from cisco branch devices...

hi all,

I have some problem to discuss with you. I want to get snmp traps from my branch cisco router or switch.

For a instance , Branch Router or Switch should response once a port goes down or up , to our central

Server in Head Office using SNMP traps.

I need this snmp traps to be send hourly basis in Branch Devices without polling it from the Head Office Server. In order to achieve

this what are the configurations I shoud made in Routers and Switches ?

Thanks for your consideration.

2 Replies 2

Hi Harsha,

Have a look at below commands:

---->snmp-server enable traps tty

tty—Sends Cisco enterprise-specific notifications when a Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) connection closes

--->snmp-server enable traps snmp authentication linkdown linkup coldstart warmstart .

snmp [authentication | linkup | linkdown | coldstart]

keywords

linkup | linkdown | coldstart

added since Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(3)T. —When the

snmp

keyword is used, you can specify the specific notification type you wish to enable or disable. If no keyword is used, all SNMP notification types are enabled (or disabled, if the no form is used). The notification types available are:

• authentication—Controls the distribution of SNMP authentication failure notifications. An authenticationFailure(4) trap signifies that the sending protocol entity is the addressee of a protocol message that is not properly authenticated.
  • linkup—Controls the sending of SNMP linkup notifications. A linkUp(3) trap signifies that the sending protocol entity recognizes that one of the communication links represented in the configuration of the agent has come up.
  • linkdown—Controls the how SNMP linkdown notifications are sent. A linkDown(2) trap signifies that the sending protocol entity recognizes a failure in one of the communication links represented in the configuration of the agent.
  • coldstart—Controls the sending of SNMP coldstart notifications. A coldStart(0) trap signifies that the sending protocol entity is reinitializing itself such that the configuration of the agent or the protocol entity implementation might be altered.

Please refer the below link it may help you more

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk362/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094a05.shtml

Please rate the helpful posts.

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Dear Harsha,

How ever, I found the info from my server dept regarding polling of snmp. Agents by defaultly checks every 60 seconds, it is called as heartbeat.

If the link goes down at any potin of time, server will notify the same.

Regards
Thanveer
"Everybody is genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is a stupid."

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card