cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Split data flows over a single T1

khambright
Level 4
Level 4

Is it possible to split data flows on a single T1.  Say 1 Flow on time-slots 5-6 and another data flow on time-slots 10-14.  If one was data and the other voice would this work?

6 Replies 6

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I'm not sure if you'll be able to do that, but why don't you use qos instead and split the flows that way. That way you can use the complete bandwidth for data if voice isn't going over the same circuit at the same time?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

I will do this if its all IP based traffic.. I am finding out more information.  The second time-slots are for radio traffic.  I am trying to find out if its IP based radio traffic or not. 

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

You can do it but if you need the non-ip flow to terminate on something other than a router, you're going to need an external CSU/dsu that has multiple connections.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

It is possible to configure a router with a single T1 to allocate certain time slots in the T1 for voice traffic (perhaps from telephone equipment at the site) and other time slots to send data traffic. You do have to be sure that the router is running code that supports this and that the router T1 card supports this functionality.

I have configured this and it worked.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

So I have been looking at this module on a 2911 router. 

VWIC3-2MFT-T1

Is it safe to say that the TDM time-slots can be broken out from the router via the 2nd interface on the VWIC to plug in the a Radio Switch?

It has been a while and I do not remember the specifics of the T1 card that we used. But it sounds like this card should do ok.

I am not sure what you are saying about the 2nd interface on the VWIC. Will the radio connect via a T1 or via Ethernet?

You can break out some time slots for voice traffic because IOS knows what kind of signaling that is and can transmit it. You can break out some time slots of IP data traffic because IOS knows how to forward that. Until we know more about what kind of radio traffic this is and what kind of signaling it uses I am not sure whether you can successfully break out some time slots for the radio traffic.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card