Views
Helpful
Replies

SSH to network devices through VPN

tejas.dandekar
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

I have enabled Telnet for L2 & SSH for L3 devices in my organization.The same works fine from my LAN

Now the problem is when i am at home & connect to my Company VPN.I am able to ping network devices also able to telnet to L2 devices

but the SSH doesn't work from VPN.

Can someone suggest what can be the issue

Regards

Tejas

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Tinashe Ndhlovu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tejas

Could be a myriad of reasons why but i will just give it go:

1 Check that transport input does specify ssh

2. Check that no ACL rules deny ssh access on the L3 devices

3. if access class is set under line vty for the L3 devices ensure the subnet you are connecting from is allowed

4. (this should really be #1 but..) check that ssh is configured correctly and enabled on the L3 devices..

on another note... depending on your security policy, consider not using telnet anywhere, yes you are telneting over an encrypted tunnel but.. id just feel safer knowing I got that extra bit of security on my lans where all sorts of MIMs are possible.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Tinashe Ndhlovu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Tejas

Could be a myriad of reasons why but i will just give it go:

1 Check that transport input does specify ssh

2. Check that no ACL rules deny ssh access on the L3 devices

3. if access class is set under line vty for the L3 devices ensure the subnet you are connecting from is allowed

4. (this should really be #1 but..) check that ssh is configured correctly and enabled on the L3 devices..

on another note... depending on your security policy, consider not using telnet anywhere, yes you are telneting over an encrypted tunnel but.. id just feel safer knowing I got that extra bit of security on my lans where all sorts of MIMs are possible.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card