cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch can ping entire network, workstation cannot

Marcus023
Level 1
Level 1

Layer 3 switch (3650) can ping everything on the network.  But the workstation plugged into a port on that switch cannot ping past the start of the GRE Tunnel, which originates from that same switch, it cannot even ping the far end of the GRE Tunnel (the switch pings thru the tunnel to the rest of the network, so tunnel is up and functioning).  Originally, the workstation couldn't ping at all, until I set up a VLAN, assigned it an IP Address, manually set the IP and subnet of the workstation to match the network of the VLAN, and set the default gateway as the near end of the tunnel (near end of tunnel is the only thing other than the VLAN address that the workstation can ping). There is no IP Address on the port, just on the VLAN and workstation.  Switch port has been set up as trunk and access, pinging to the near end of the tunnel, and no further, each time.  The rest of the network is already fully functional, I just need the workstation to ping what the switch can already ping.

18 Replies 18

Marcus023
Level 1
Level 1

After calling in some local mental muscle (a 4-person CCNP team), it was suggested to separate the 3650 functions into using an actual router and using the 3650 only for Layer 2 functions.  Part of the issue is the 3650 doesn't do sub-interfaces.  With an actual router in the mix, I can configure a sub-interface and do Dot1Q encapsulation (assigning the appropriate VLAN).  Then, putting the switchport on that same VLAN should resolve the issue.  Will post results here.

Yes the 3650 does not do subinterfaces. It accomplishes the same result using trunk. subinterface is a layer 3 concept which carries multiple vlans on a single connection. trunk does the same thing carrying multiple vlans on a single connection.

Your proposed solution with a router will require the 3650 to configure its interface to the router as a trunk. Then the router can use subinterfaces to process the various vlans.

HTH

Rick

Marcus023
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks Richard, that's got it!!!!

You are welcome. I am glad that our suggestions have been helpful. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card