cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch decided to stop routing - intra-VLAN routing! - 4507

Nathan Farrar
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not in the environment right now but this one is a bit interesting. A 4507 has been running in the core of this network just fine for a while now. Something happened over night that caused it to stop routing... kinda. Basically, the only issue seems to be with routes that are redirected to a different address within the same network. 

Example. The switch has an SVI in the VLAN and is acting as a default gateway for the VLAN. The switch is peering via EIGRP with a few other devices in the same VLAN. A packet destined for a different network might come into the switch at 10.0.0.1 but be redirected to 10.0.0.254 to reach a different network. This isn't working. If I were to change a host to use the .254 address as the default gateway, traffic to and from that network works. But when the switch is the default gateway, it doesn't.

This isn't a configuration issue since it has been running for well over a year without issue. 

I'm not sure what this type of routing would be called... maybe hairpin "ish"? I've considered clearing the routing table but that would be service disruptive. I've thought about clearing the cef table to see if that would fix things but I'm not sure how disruptive that would be.

Any ideas on way to fix this without reloading the entire switch, and what could be causing this? Hasn't happened before. 

(Also, this switch is slated for refresh soon since it is way EOL)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No PBR happening but good thought. We ended up reloading the sup, the secondary sup came online and the issues went away! Must have been a lovely software bug lurking somewhere. 

We started by clearing out the cef table, then moved to the routing table... no fixes there. I'm guessing the bug is somewhere in the routing logic and not in the table. 

Good to go for now, but unfortunately no real answers 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello

sounds like possibly  some policy based routing has been applied and it doesn’t work as it should

Can you post the config if this core switch please

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

No PBR happening but good thought. We ended up reloading the sup, the secondary sup came online and the issues went away! Must have been a lovely software bug lurking somewhere. 

We started by clearing out the cef table, then moved to the routing table... no fixes there. I'm guessing the bug is somewhere in the routing logic and not in the table. 

Good to go for now, but unfortunately no real answers 

Which IOS are you running ? Always worth checking for a bug anyway...

Better yet, post the output of 'show version'...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card