Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tag for Route-Maps doesn't work when redistribute EIGRP to BGP

Hi all

I have ASR1001-X router has EIGRP and BGP running .

I created route-map for manage traffic redistribute from EIGRP to BGP

however, I found out route map doesn't work when I use " match tag "

Example #1

I tag 1000 to all routes advertise from BGP to EIGRP

route-map bgp-to-eigrp permit 10

set tag 1000

!

then I match this tag when I redistribute network from EIGRP to BGP

route-map eigrp-to-bgp deny 20

match tag 1000

!

route-map eigrp-to-bg permit 50

But the result is all EIGRP routes are denied , there is nothing in BGP routing table with route-map "eigrp-to-bgp"

Example #2:

I also tried tag one subnet in EIGRP with tag 2000 as follow :

sh ip eigrp to | i 172.16.63
P 172.16.63.0/24, 1 successors, FD is 262656, tag is 2000

then I only want to redistribute this subnet into BGP by following configuration

route-map eigrp-to-bg permit 10

match tag 2000

!

But the result is I see all networks redistribute from EIGRP to BGP included the traffic learned from BGP ( tag 1000 ) .

So , based on above 2 examples , the result to me is "match tag xxxx" in route-map didn't work somehow . by the way , when I use match ACL , it works

8 Replies 8

Hello,

how do you redistribute between EIGRP and BGP and vice versa ? Post the full configuration of your ASR...

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Fan,

BGP has its own attributes like BGP community that is even better then a route tag because multiple BGP communities can be applied to same prefix.

I would try using BGP communities on BGP side to see if there is a difference.

Route tags and matching on them work well between EIGRP and OSPF or EIGRP and IS IS.

To be noted RIPv2 route tags should be 16 bit integer while EIGRP, OSPF and IS IS use 32 bit integer route tags.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks for everyone's reply , let me put more details here :

Region Capture.jpg

Originally ,All remote sites are in super net :172.16.0.0/16" and advertised by BGP AS 13979, then redistribute into EIGRP by match ACL 30 . in order to prevent the loop , 172.16.0.0/16 in ACL 30 will deny to send back to BGP AS 13979.

Now , I am migrating remote a site to Meraki as POC. I have one site with 172.16.63.0/24 needs advertise into BGP in order to other remote sites to connect it ,so I tag the network learned from Meraki with tag 2000 and permit it into BGP , but this is not work . route map on ASR didn't match tag .

Here is configuration :

access-list 30 permit 172.16.0.0 0.0.255.255

!

route-map bgp-to-eigrp permit 10
match ip address 30
set metric 10000 50 254 1 1500

!

route-map eigrp-to-bgp permit 10
match tag 2000

!

route-map eigrp-to-bgp deny 20
match ip address 30
!
route-map eigrp-to-bgp permit 50

Hello,

post the full configs of all three routers so we can lab this...

Hello

Just like to add you dont really need to set the tags on the redistributed bgp routes, by default the asn they originated from will be the tagged value in the eigrp topology database,  So try matching on the asn tag instead?

sh ip eigrp topology | in tag

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

yeah , I tried with tag 2000 before , but same problem , I even tried with different model of router , but no help .

so basically is match tag seems not work in route map when I redistribute it from EIGRP to BGP .

Hello

fan.gao@academy.com wrote:

so basically is match tag seems not work in route map when I redistribute it from EIGRP to BGP .

When you redistribute igp into bgp then the asn tag is lost correct?  Try the following but you may find the origin of the route is incomplete , please verify if that is the case.

route-map eigrp-into-bgp
set as-path tag

router bgp xxx
redistribute eigrp xx match external route-map eigrp-into-bgp

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I can't change to redistribution part as it is production network here . any other thoughts ?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card