cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

[TCP Out-of-Order] and [TCP Dup ACK] - Whats going on???

Brendan Marmont
Level 1
Level 1

Continuation of another issue that is being researched by our provider, albeit snail pace

Transferring data sets is extremely slow, <1M on a 500M circuit.

This is not happening to ALL sites, 3 transfers at expected rates, the other 9 are dismal.

Attached screenshot cap of what is happening.

Cisco 4507 at each end. Happy to post any configs

8 Replies 8

As some transfers are ok, It looks like it could be the provider network.

What type of connection is it between the sites? Internet? MPLS? private?

perhaps share the relevant  configuration, and do a show interface for the in question link for both ends.

regards

Richard.

Each site has 500M Ethernet connection, DC site 2GB. MPLS I can see drop on the input queue 68878 The million dollar question is why will it work end-end for some clients and not others. SAN-SAN replication has a default TCP window of 72k, if we hard set this to 1536 as a test, throughput is fine. That throws another cog ion the mix, why is TCP not able to neg/establish optimal window? Screenshots attached, wont let me paste configuration in readable format.

A couple of things I have noticed.

The Akl end is running 10Gbps and has flow control on

The Wlg end is running 1Gbps and has flow control off

You are running the link as a trunk but only allow one Vlan, so why not access port? or is this ready for future Vlans to go across the link?

I did a quick search on the internet for " TCP window size across MPLS"

and one link popped up very similar to your problem

http://serverfault.com/questions/644008/tcp-window-scaling-problem-over-mpls

HTH

Richard.

Thanks Richard, checked other site config for flow control, they are all cookie cut. There are no pause frames detected on trunk interfaces, flowcontrol must be a red herring.

VLAN 4030 sets up BGP neighbor peers over our carrier ethernet service

Its a very odd issue, have included a hi tech graphical representation of affected areas, we can see WLG has lion share of egress issues, but why its not 100% accross all sites is beyond me.

Will keep hunting.... Thanks for taking a look :)

I think it is all to do with TCP window size and distance thru the MPLS network. I know in Ozz thru Telstra on our MPLS network Interstate the minimum ping time is 30ms no matter the size of the link.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

TCP Dup Acks could be from lost packets or out-of-order packets, even when packets are not lost.

Lost packets, or enough out-of-order packets, cause the TCP sender to believe packets have been lost, which cause the TCP sender to slow its transmission, either backing down by half, congestion avoidance, or being pushed all the way back to slow start.

Lost packets that wait for timers to expire, really impact performance.

On high bandwidth paths, with high latency, TCP performance is especially slowed by lost packets (as congestion avoidance ramp-up is very slow).  Additionally, if the receiving host doesn't provide a RWIN that can support the path's BDP, TCP will self limit its transmission rate (slower than the bandwidth supports).

So, you want to insure:

• packets are not being re-ordered along the way
  • packets are not being excessively dropped
  • the TCP receiver has a RWIN that supports BDP

Oh, and if you use RWINs greater than 64 KB, SACK may be a useful TCP feature.

Plot thickens... When switching local subnets on the same machine the circuit to performs as expected. This is seen when flicking between wireless, wired and statically assigning IP. Core IPV MPLS is layer 2, they tell me its like a black hole and relies only on mac, they do not manipulate on IP et al. Traces end to end are normal

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages wha2tsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

. . . they do not manipulate on IP . . .

Yes, that's generally true, but that's not the issue.  The issue is, whether packets are lost within the cloud and/or they come out the other end not in original sequence.

When it comes to service providers saying, there's nothing wrong with their network, that usually means either they don't know what they are doing, or it's a subtle issue.

For example of the latter, years ago I had one L3 VPN path (across provider MPLS), that just didn't seem quite "right" to me.  So, I complained.  No problem here, said the provider.  Well I kept complaining, and complaining, until finally they found an out-of-date firmware on an interface card that would drop a low percentage of packets when under stress.  They updated the firmware, issue resolved.

This only took 3 months.  It was an international tier one service provider.  With all my complaints, they even complained to my manager, but fortunately, my manager backed me.

If it is a provider issue, you often need to "prove" the issue is within their network.  Like sending under CIR rate traffic, recording what goes into their network, on one end, and comparing to what comes out the other side.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card