cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Testing DHCP Relay

davidhuynh5
Level 1
Level 1

We are constantly having DHCP problems on our network.  The problem is not with the network tranports, it's with the system admins who maintains the DHCP server (scopes).  Is there a way that I can stimulate a DHCP relay on a network to a remote dhcp server using an ip helper address?

I would then enable dhcp debugging to view the transaction.  The debugging is simple, but I need to figure a way to test dhcp relay. Any solution would be appreciated so that I can tell the sysadmin its not the network, but the server.             

5 Replies 5

jawad-mukhtar
Level 4
Level 4

Cisco IOS support dhcp relay agent.

You can configure ip helper-address on an interface or vlan.

Please find below Cisco Documentation that might help you.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_4t/ip_addr/configuration/guide/htdhcpre.html

Jawad

Yes you can, and then the dhcp packet ( originating from the dhcp client)  will be forwarded as unicast by the relay with a new define   "giaddr ip" which is usually set to the svi interface on where you have applied this relay,

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate this post if it has been helpful.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Sorry, let me rephrase my question. How do I fake a client on my router or layer 3 switch?

Hello David,

if you want a different router to act as a DHCP client you can use

ip address dhcp

in interface config mode

But it has to be a different router /router interface then the one performing DHCP relay function

Hope to help

Giuseppe

SOcchiogrosso
Level 4
Level 4

You could look into configuring a IP SLA on the ciao for DHCP this will not solve the problem but it give you a better look at the process from the routers perspective and provide better logging from the network perspective.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-- CCNP, CCIP, CCDP, CCNA: Security/Wireless Blog: http://ccie-or-null.net/
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card