Replies

TFTP from Switch to TFTP Server Times out

mcsadmin10
Level 1
Level 1

This is preplexing me..

First i'll stay,

Any device behind said switch routes to and from our core just fine

Any other switch on our network, even switches within the subnet as said switch TFTP to the TFTP server just fine.

The copy run tftp command creates a blank file on the tftp server with the switch name and the switch reports the following.

SW-MDF-DIST#copy run tf
SW-MDF-DIST#copy run tftp:
Address or name of remote host []? 10.15.49.18
Destination filename [sw-mdf-dist-confg]?
%Error opening tftp://10.15.49.18/sw-mdf-dist-confg (Timed out)
SW-MDF-DIST#

From a different switch on the same subnet.

SW-IDF-209A#copy run t
Address or name of remote host []? 10.15.49.18
Destination filename [sw-idf-209a-confg]?
!!
12259 bytes copied in 8.247 secs (1486 bytes/sec)
SW-IDF-209A#

Works fine.

This switch, SW-MDF-DIST, has the route statments and vlan information on it.  The switch is on a flat single vlan network.

Please help!

2 Replies 2

mcsadmin10
Level 1
Level 1

If I may add.

I can not ping other switches outside of the switches subnet from the said switch.. I can from other switches on the same subnet and pcs.

Hello,

For the TFTP to work, you need network connectivity between the tftp server and switch/rtr. From your post, my understanding is the switch is unable reach the tftp server. If you have proper vlan/route statement on the switch, its odd that the switch unable to reach any other gear outside the subnet- which basically gives the information that your route statement may be wrong. Check the route statement (it makes difference in having commands: ip default-gateway x.x.x.x & ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.x.x.x --> this is common config errors I have seen on switch). Check on that and if you still have issues, post the related config from switch and details of the tftp subnet. Someone will be able to assist you.

hth

MS

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card