cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Tftp issue with new devices (9300 & 3850)

ittechk4u1
Level 4
Level 4

cant copy the config files from these swicthes...

error logs 

DC1XCIK1#copy startup-config tftp:
Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.19.8
Destination filename [DC1xcik1-confg]?
!.....
%Error writing tftp://192.168.19.8/DC1xcik1-confg (Timed out).....

I can ping tftp server and vice versa from laptop

ip tftp source interface is also configured...

what could be the reason..?

Thanks in advance

37 Replies 37

Thanks for the debug output. It does confirm that the tftp request was sent to the server and that a response was received. This is good to know. I see in the debug output that the server responds with a block size of 8192 and the switch is sending 8192 length packets. Given the path that this data takes, and given the description in a previous response that part of the path may be over vpn, I wonder if the issue is about packet size and possible need to fragment. Is it possible to configure the server to specify a smaller block size?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ittechk4u1
Level 4
Level 4

Now issue have been resolved by using the command;

"ip tftp blocksize 512"

I dont undersatnd why cisco says that "By default, the Catalyst 3850 uses a TFTP block size value of 512"

Thank all of you.

Thanks for the update letting us know that the problem is solved. I am glad that my suggestion pointed you to the solution.

I believe that the explanation to your follow up question is that while it is correct that 3850 will default to block size of 512 that the block size for any particular transfer is negotiated. And if the server negotiates 8192 then the 3850 will use that block size.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks Burts.

Intereseting fact:

1. 3850 was having default Block size of 512 and it didn't work.
  2. Then I changed block size to 8192 on 3850 and result was same as step1.
  3. Finally I changed again to 512 on switch and it worked.

Thanks

Hello,

I had same issue.

i solved to configuring a block size of 4096

With block size 8192 don't work

With blcok size 4096 work fine.

> ip tftp blocksize 4096

Regards

This helped me too. 

When I tried the command 'copy tftp: flash:' the first time, it started off well and stopped half way in the transfer. On the following tries it timed out over and over again. Applying the command 'ip tftp blocksize 512' allowed the transfer to complete.

Thanx everyone. 

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. It may help some other participants in the community.

HTH

Rick

Confirmed to work on cisco 9300 as well,

I experienced the issue and was resolved by changing the block size.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card