Views
Helpful
Replies

The Benefit of PfR

dtran
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

I am looking into deploying PfR on my network and I am trying to figure out if it's worth the investment as I have some old routers that may not support the this feature and plus I will have to purchase the feature licenses. These are the routers I currently running in my environment 2800,2900 and 3900 series. I have dual routers / dual WANs with multi T1's in a multilink bundle at all remote locations. The one issue that I sometimes experience is that if one of the T1's in the multilink bounces it causes the multilink to recalculate and re-establish routing neighbor and that in turn causes disruption to traffic. I am trying to find out how PfR would help me in this scenario in mitigating traffic disruption. Please share your pros and cons experience with PfR.

Thank you all in advance !!!

Danny

10 Replies 10

David Aicher
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Danny

the 2800 series is past end of software support and has a little over a year of hardware support.  the last images they can run are 15.1(4)Mx.     There was some major changes to pfr phase 2 put in after this and pfrv3 is not supported until 15.4(3)M.  I would suggest that the 2800 is not a good candidate for pfr.

pfr monitors performance criteria like packet loss, unreachable, jitter and delay.    these can be used to move traffic to a different link based on configured policy.    However something like a routing protocol flap is not considered here.  pfr needs what is called a parent route.  when the routing protocol flaps traffic would go uncontrolled in PFR since it needs to see a route via all the external wan interfaces to control the traffic.

I am not sure pfr would be useful for the specific problem you mentioned.  it is most useful for brown  out or black out conditions in the ISP. 

- Dave

Thanks David and Joseph !! I appreciate your inputs !!

Let say in a scenario where I have dual routers with each connects to a separate WAN provider and one of the WAN links is 90-100% full most of the time. How would PfR help in this scenario ?

Thanks !!

Danny

You can load balance as Joseph mentioned here or the links can have a max utilization to prevent congestion.    In either case pfr can solve this and allow you to use your bandwidth on both links more efficiently.

- Dave

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

It might.  Since OER, OER/PfR, as I've already mentioned, can dynamically load balance links.  So if one link is running at 90%, and the other is zero, it might try to get both running at 45%.  It does this by injecting routes to shift some flows.  (BTW, it doesn't have to equally balance links, it can balance different bandwidths in the same proportion.  For example, if you lose one of your bundled links, one WAN router now has twice bandwidth of the other.  So, it can balance at a 2:1 ratio.)

It does this pretty easily for egress, ingress, though is more of a problem.  However, if the traffic is just between your sites, one site's egress would be another site's ingress.

Thanks David / Joseph !!!

I like the idea that PfR can dynamically load balance traffic between the WAN links but in my scenario what I am currently doing is that I have PBR at the hub site where I purposely route replication traffic across one link (link1) and this link is full 90% of the time. How would PfR fit in in this scenario ?

Can I have PfR enable at the remote site only and not at the hub site ?

I believe I can only run PfRv2 on the 2800, and 3800 series routers and PfRv3 is supported on ISR G2 (2900, 3900 series) routers. Can I run PfRv2 on ISR G2 routers ? Can I have mix version in the environment where router 1 runs PfRv2 and router 2 runs PfRv3 ?

Any licensing require to run PfR on either platform ?

Thank you very much !!!

Danny

pfr can use link-groups to prefer a specific link and then set a max-utilization value to prevent the link from reaching 100%

you can run pfrv2 at the remote and not the hub.  pfrv3 requires pfr to be configured at the hub and branch.

you cannot mix versions they are not compatible.

you need the "data" license for PFR on ISR-G2.

Thanks David !!!

Can I run PfRv2 on ISR-G2 ?

I have a 2800 and a 2900 at most of my remote sites and at the hub I have 3800 and 3900. So seems like PfRv2 is my only option ?

Thanks David !!

Danny

pfrv2 is supported on the isr-g2. 

since you have a mix of 2800 and 2900 or 3800 and 3900, you should be aware that the master controller must be a  higher pfr version than the border routers.  The MC is also going to use more CPU with PFR.    I would suggest using the 3900(or 2900 at branch) as MC for these reasons.

- Dave

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If you have a single flow, such as your replication, that will practically saturate a path, PfR cannot do much for that flow, but it can at least separate that flow and your others across multiple paths, i.e., again, dynamic load balancing.  (What you might see is replication just on one path and other all traffic on the other.)

PfR can manage both ingress and egress bandwidth, but ingress is much more complex because somehow you need to inform the other side how to route traffic to you.

I'm unfamiliar mixing versions of PfR.

On earlier IOS versions, before licensing, I recall PfR required a better than IP Base feature set.  So, it's likely to require some additional license on later IOS versions.

BTW,

David mentions increased CPU load and sizing a MC correctly.  My experience with OER and 1st gen PfR (I haven't use the later versions - I've since starting working at a different company that doesn't use it), neither imposed much additional CPU load and at my branches I ran MC on one the edge devices.  I only used dedicated MCs at the HQ hub and in hind sight, don't believe I really needed them.  That said, what I did run into, was usage of lots of RAM if I had active monitoring.  The latter depends much on how granular you monitor flows.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

I recall (?) PfR was available on 2800s starting with 12.4T (and OER with 12.4).

As Danny noted, PfR is very useful for dealing with cloud brown outs or black outs, but it can also dynamically load balance too.

However, as Danny also noted, it PfR wouldn't really be a good fit for dealing with a link flap. If you have dual routers, tuning your IGP timers might be helpful to speed up convergence (to minimize the impact of one WAN link dropping its neighbor).  Or, if multilink bundles are a problem, perhaps arrange with the vendor to make each link a p2p.  Then if one drops, the other will stay up.  (Of course, you lose the per flow bandwidth capacity of multilink, but your aggregate would be the same.)

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card