Views
Helpful
Replies

The reason using One core SFP?

Soon Kwan Kwon
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all,

My boss suggest to our coworkers to buy one core SFP.

But I don't know why one core is existed, what is the advantage of it?

Such as GLC-BX-D, there are many kinds of one core SFP!

But, I know one core is more better than two core because one core can transfer data only one road. (latest technology?.)

Why people use one core instead of two core SFP?

Thank you for reading.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ok see link below for comparison

http://www.lanshack.com/Fiber-Type-vs-Speed-and-Distance.aspx

for short distances within the office use MM and 2 sided

for long distances between sites use SMF then can use 1 sided as saves money on fibre costs

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

These operate on SMF only , the advantage, because run up to 10Km using 1 fibre instead of 2 saves the cost of extra fibre,

Cisco 100BASE-BX10 SFP

The Cisco 100BASE-BX10 (part numbers GLC-FE-100BX-D and GLC-FE-100BX-U) SFPs operate on ordinary SMF single-strand link spans up to 10 km long. A 100BASE-BX10-D device is always connected a 100BASE-BX10-U device with a single strand of standard SMF with an operating transmission range up to 10 km. The communication over a single strand of fiber is achieved by separating the transmission wavelength of the two devices as depicted in Figure 2. 100BASE-BX10-D transmits a 1550-nm channel and receives a 1310-nm signal, whereas a 100BASE-BX10-U transmits a 1310-nm wavelength and receives a 1550-nm signal. Note in Figure 2 the presence of a wavelength-division multiplexing (WDM) splitter integrated into the SFP to split the 1310-nm and 1550-nm light paths.

Figure 2.      Bidirectional Transmission on a Single Strand of SMF

Thank you expert.

But I don't still understand clearly.

I know Single mode and Multi mode already.

(Distance limit : Single > Multi) <-- definitely.

But what I make a question is that the meaning of one-sided fiber's "use reason".

<One-sided SFP>

What is the good point compared to two-sided SFP such as "GLC-SX-MM" SFP?

Regards,

what fibre are you using single mode(SMF) or Multi Mode (MM) then the type of SFP is to consider next.

I have "GLC-BX-D" Single and multi, both.

Can you explain single and multi separately?

I just want to know benefit DIFFERENCE between one-sided and double-sided SFP like below picture.

That is.. if you can.

1. When it comes to Single(SMF), 

2. When it comes to Multi(MMF)

Thank you.

Ok see link below for comparison

http://www.lanshack.com/Fiber-Type-vs-Speed-and-Distance.aspx

for short distances within the office use MM and 2 sided

for long distances between sites use SMF then can use 1 sided as saves money on fibre costs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card