cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Thinking of upgrading to Cisco Catalyst 8200 Router from ISR 4331

varunoberoi
Level 1
Level 1

We have an existing ISR 4431 router that we use with the performance license and the security license. Our company needs a minimum WAN speed of 300 Mbps and to connect to branch offices we use VPN.

Because of patchy ISP services (We are in rural India), there's a lot of downtime but 5G networks are now active and provide roaring speeds.

I found that the new Cisco Catalyst 8200 series routers have an optional 5G module which can be used to backup your main ISP connection, so I enquired about purchasing a new one and was very surprised with the BOQ that my reseller has given me.

Could someone confirm these things:

- It is mandatory for me to purchase the Cisco DNA subscription for 3 years.
- It is mandatory for me to purchase solution support for Cisco DNA for 3 years.
- It is mandatory for me to purchase a warranty for at least 1 year with this purchase.
- The inbuilt WAN speed is 1 Gbps and VPN should work out of the box without needing any kind of license purchases.
- After 3 years if I choose not to renew my Cisco DNA subscription, the VPN will stop working. Reseller has no idea if the WAN speed will also be throttled.

It seems extremely restrictive and pushy for Cisco to do this. But maybe my reseller is trying to take advantage of me. So want some clarity here. Please advise.

1 Reply 1

Rich R
VIP
VIP

Read https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/catalyst-8200-series-edge-platforms/catalyst-8200-series-edge-platforms-faq.html#Licensing
Q.  Are the Cisco DNA subscriptions term based or perpetual?

A.  Cisco DNA Subscription consists of two license stacks
For Non-SDWAN - Network Stack: Perpetual, which includes all the legacy RTU licenses such as SEC, UC, APPX, AX. This license stack stays for perpetuity even after the Cisco DNA term expires. No need to renew.

Apart from that, yes everything is packaged into DNA licenses now so you are forced to buy the initial subscription.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card