Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I wonder if someone can help me

I ran traceroute command and on the output I got something like this:

9 mynet.net (104.44.13.21) 87.284 ms
   mynet2.net (104.44.14.2) 96.702 ms 92.981 ms

10 104.44.12.34 85.9ms 96.702 ms 91.91 ms

in hop 9 looks like there are two routes to destination, why is this happening?

also at the end the destinations is shown twice, like this 

12 www.myweb.com (134.23.34.32) ms 91.91 ms 87.284 ms 87.284 ms

13 www.myweb.com (134.23.34.32) ms 94.12 ms 82.72 ms 90.91 ms

also why does this happen?

Hope you can help me

Thank you

8 Replies 8

two path and there is load balance make the trace route view two routers.

Agree that at #9 there are two paths toward the destination and the device responding is doing load sharing.

It is a bit less clear about #12 and #13. It might help if we remember some of the logic used in traceroute (or tracert in some OS). Traceroute sends a probe packet manipulating the Time To Live of the packet. It starts at TTL = 1 and listens for a response. If the response is TTL exceeded then traceroute increments TTL and sends another probe. If the response is not TTL exceeded but is something else (particularly port not available if the probe uses UDP packets (as Cisco does) or echo response if the probe uses ICMP) then traceroute stops. This output suggests that a probe packet reached 134.23.34.32 and received a TTL exceeded response, so traceroute incremented TTL and sent another probe which received a non TTL response. Why the device would respond first with TTL exceeded and then with some other response depends on what that destination is, and we do not know that.

HTH

Rick

sorry I see only #9 
for #12 and #13,
I think there is summary and default without Null0 so there is loop. 

Richard.

Thank you so much for replying

You have given me a more clear idea.

I really appreciate it.

Best Regards.

Hugo Torres.

Hugo

I am glad that my explanation was helpful. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

Hi,

Thank you so much, I thought about a load balance feature but honestly I was not sure about it

I appreciate your help

Best Regards.

Hugo

Hello,

on a side note, in order to find out of there is load balancing, use the traceroute command with the 'probe' keyword. It should only return one hop:

traceroute x.x.x.x probe 1

Hi

Thanks you so much for your help

This is very helpful.

Best Regards.

Hugo Torres.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card