Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic engineering with EIGRP

I have a topology where traffic from R6 to R5 can go through R4 direct connection with R5 or through tunnel between R4 and R5. Right now the traffic is taking the gig link between R4 and R5 for all traffic coming from R6. I am trying to engineer the traffic in a way that if it is coming from the loopback of R6 it should go through the tunnel all other traffic should go through the gig link between R4 and R5.

On R4, I tried using prefix-list and permitted the loopback of R6 and set the next-hop using the route-map and applied to the inbound traffic through EIGRP using distribute-list. But it redirects all traffic coming in from R6 to the tunnel now.

I have tried using extended IP access-list and permited the host of R6 loopback to R5 loopback but it still doesn't work. Any suggestions.

When I tried to apply the distribute-list through EIGRP to the inbound traffic on the link between R4 and R6 nothing works. If I only apply the distribute-list inbound through EIGRP only then it works but with the problem I have explained above.

26 Replies 26

Thanks for the input, I will try PBR and update.
I am using the INE topology for CCIE Infrastructure. I was working with EIGRP and trying different things so I just tried this situation, I am not following any particular lab for this purpose, but if you know some I would appreciate if you could let me know.

Trying to perpare for the CCIE lab and kind of lost.

I thought I recognize INE lab topology; Here is my "modified" version of the "EIGRP Filtering with Extended Access-Lists" lab based on old INE RSv5 lab (configs and topology is still similar to new lab). It's probably not what you were looking originally but it is part of CCIE lab topics/syllabus (under Route filtering). You can easily apply this concept to your topology.  Also, You need a good "structured" lab workbook that covers almost all topics. Note that In addition to using distribute-list to do EIGRP Routes filtering, you can use distance command and offset-lists. In particular, distribute-list using route-maps and tags for routes that are being redistributed into EIGRP looks interesting.   

Regards, ML
**Please Rate All Helpful Responses **

@Martin L I haven't looked at your attachment, but I assume the point of such a lab is manipulation of routes directing traffic TO a destination, not FROM a source, yes?

Yes that is the point. On a transit router I am trying to direct the traffic through a different path than selected by EIGRP.

Okay, then what your trying to do (traffic engineering) generally applies to traffic going TO a destination, not FROM a source (as described in OP).  As the many replies have shown, different approaches are used for FROM vs.TO.

It's well worth knowing and understanding both approaches but often there might be other "approaches" to achieve the same end goal, possibly even better meeting the end goal and/or with less complexity.

Thanks Martin, I'll go through your lab and try to use the concept in my lab. Yes I am trying to follow a workbook from INE but during that I try different things. This forum is really helpful, I'll be using it more. Thanks to all of you who have replied and helped. I really appriciate it.

Hello
Can you share a topology diagram to assist in understanding in what you wish to accomplish, it will be much easier to visualise your network

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Sure. Topology is attached.Topology.png

Hello

@zeeshanbasit25789 wrote:

. I am trying to engineer the traffic in a way that if it is coming from the loopback of R6 it should go through the tunnel all other traffic should go through the gig link between R4 and R5.

You should be able to do this with Policy Based routing (PBR) applied on R4/R5

R4
Example PBR
ip access-list extended R6-loop
permit ip host 6.6.6.6 any

route-map PBR permit 10
match ip address R6-loop
set interface Tunnel45

route-map PBR permit 99

interface x.x
description physical link to R6
ip policy route-map PBR

R5
Example PBR
ip access-list extended R6_loop
permit ip any host 6.6.6.6 

route-map PBR permit 10
match ip address R6-loop
set interface Tunnel54

route-map PBR permit 99

interface x.x
description physical lan links on R5
ip policy route-map PBR

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thanks Paul, I am going to try this PBR as well and will update.

II send you message check it 

Thanks man, I'll check as soon as I receive it.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card