Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Generator for Voice and Data traffic

orthicon2009
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Cisco Experts,

I would like to know your best recommendation on using a traffic generator(free trial) that will test our WAN links.

Thanks,

Orthicon

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

On a Cisco router, you can use extended ping to tag packets with your desired ToS setting.

If you want to combine different traffic with different ToS settings, you could invoke multiple VTY sessions, and have each, concurrently, do a different extended ping.

If you're trying to saturate the link, then you need a traffic generator. The free ones often don't let you specify ToS. What I've done in the past, is use a router to remark such generated traffic, upstream, of the link I want to load up.

View solution in original post

@Joseph W. Doherty wrote:

On a Cisco router, you can use extended ping to tag packets with your desired ToS setting.

If you want to combine different traffic with different ToS settings, you could invoke multiple VTY sessions, and have each, concurrently, do a different extended ping.

If you're trying to saturate the link, then you need a traffic generator. The free ones often don't let you specify ToS. What I've done in the past, is use a router to remark such generated traffic, upstream, of the link I want to load up.

HI Joseph Doherty! Yes, I’ve been using multiple sessions with different ToS settings to generate traffic. I’ve also used  free traffic generator but doesn’t allow me to specify the ToS.  Btw, I love your idea of using the router to remark the Traffic generator. Simple ACL that sources the traffic generator and include this inthe service policy ang that should complete it. Cool! =)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
What exactly do you want to test? (NB: there are simple tools to load up your link, to see if you can achieve your paid for bandwidth, to complex tools that analyze what's happening.)

What exactly do you want to test? (NB: there are simple tools to load up your link, to see if you can achieve your paid for bandwidth, to complex tools that analyze what's happening.)

Just wanted to test my QoS that is applied to router’s WAN interface. It would be a simulation of combined traffic for RTP, SIP and or different types of data traffic. Or packets that are tagged with EF, Af11, af21, cs3 etc etc. 

HI Joseph Doherty! Yes, I’ve been using multiple sessions with different ToS settings to generate traffic. I’ve also used  free traffic generator but doesn’t allow me to specify the ToS.  Btw, I love your idea of using the router to remark the Traffic generator. Simple ACL that sources the traffic generator and include this inthe service policy ang that should complete it. Cool! =)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: