Views
Helpful
Replies

traffic limit for users in a vlan

MichaelCM
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everybody!

I am a (very) begginer needing some help.

I have a network divided in several vlans managed by an ISR 891F. The 891 is the dhcp server for each vlan.

One of the vlan (let's name it FREE WIFI VLAN - 10.10.21.0/24) includes all the AccessPoints in the building providing free wifi to the clients. (APs are not Cisco). All the APs are connected in the same (2960X-24ts-l) switch.

Can you tell me how can I limit the traffic (both ingress and egress) only for this vlan (ISP provides a guaranteed upload/download speed) in order to leave the other vlans to access the internet with priority and better speed?

Thank you!

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello MichaelCM,

if you know the IP subnet used by free WIFI you can build QoS policies to limit their traffic usage.

>> FREE WIFI VLAN - 10.10.21.0/24

access-list 111 remark FREE WIFI to internet

access-list 111 permit ip 10.10.21.0 0.0.0.255 any

access-list 121 remark from internet to FREE WIFI

access-list 121 permit ip any 10.10.21.0 0.0.0.255

class-map FREEWIFI-UPSTREAM

match address 111

class-map DOWNSTREAM-FREEWIFI

match address 121

policy-map POLICER-to-INTERNET

class FREEWIFI-UPSTREAM

police 5000000 conform-action transmit exceed-action-drop

!

policy CHILD

class DOWNSTREAM-FREEWIFI

shape average 10000000

policy-map SHAPE-from-Internet

class-default shape 100000000

service-policy CHILD

interface gi0/0

desc link router to switch

service-policy in POLICER-to-INTERNET

service-policy out SHAPE-from-Internet

Of course, you need also to NAT the WIFI users to give them internet access

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thank you, very much! Will try it!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have good news and not so good news.

On your 891 you should be able to manage your outbound bandwidth usage including traffic prioritization. However, for inbound, your management is downstream of the actual Internet link which means the Internet link can congest, or not have the traffic prioritization you desire. The ideal way to handle the latter is to have traffic management on your ISP's device, but generally most ISPs will not support that. That said, you can configure "from" Internet bandwidth management, and it will have some effect, but generally it doesn't work very well. (NB: BTW, for ingress Internet traffic, a 3rd party traffic management device might be considered. They can do more/better than a Cisco router, but even they aren't 100% effective.)

If you wish to try some QoS, and see how effective it is, you can try what Giuseppe suggests (or something similar to it). You also might consider having a second Internet link installed for your guest WiFi (the latter possibly being the least expensive way to "manage" the two "kinds" of traffic).

Thank you!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card