cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Policing on a Speed Varying Interface?

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

I am happy with configuring traffic policing for an interface with a fixed upload and download speed, this is working fine.

However I need to know if its possible to do this on an interface which varies in speed.

We have a 4G modem which connects to the WAN port of a Cisco router so the speed of the interface is obviously 100Mbps and I realise I can change this with a Bandwidth statement or even setup a policy map and input some bandwidth figures manually for upload and download.

Unfortunately the device is on a boat so the 4G speed varies massively depending on where abouts they are.

They also use VSAT and this has both a CIR and an MIR so the speeds on this are not always consistent depending on the VSAT usage and location etc.

I have been told there is a way to get an interface to actually monitor its actual throughput over a given time and maybe I could apply a policy against the results of this.....possible maybe?

Thanks

1 Reply 1

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You could police based on percent. The percent will take into account the current bandwidth and adjust from there. If you're talking policing, you can do a "police (cir|rate) percent <percentage>", or shaping is "shape average percent <percentage>". The bandwidth may not dynamically change when there's a change noticed in the 4g connection though. That's the part that I'm unsure of. With multilink ppp, the bandwidth changes if one of the links fails in the bundle, but I'm not sure about the cell connection. If it does, the percentage would be a good way to go since it would always adjust.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card