cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic Shaping on 3650

williamehmke1
Level 1
Level 1

Has anyone been able to successfully configure traffic shaping on a Cisco 3650? I am trying to shape my 300Mb internet pipe for 250Mb for internet traffic and 50Mb for vpn traffic. Is there a simple way to limit bandwidth on the 2 interfaces or would I need to define policy maps and setup QOS 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't tried, but I'm 99% confident this approach will work.  This will guarantee that VPN (aka IPSEC) gets 50Mb/s of your pipe.  If the VPN is not using that traffic then it is available for general Internet access.

ip access-list extended ipsec 
  permit esp any any
  permit udp any any eq 500
  permit udp any any eq 4500
  permit udp any eq 500 any
  permit udp any eq 4500 any

class-map match-any cm-qos-ipsec
  match access-group ipsec

policy-map pm-QoS
  class cm-qos-ipsec
     bandwidth 50000

policy-map pm-Internet
 class class-default
  shape average 300M
    service-policy pm-QoS

interface Gigabit a/b/c
  service-policy output pm-Internet

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I haven't tried, but I'm 99% confident this approach will work.  This will guarantee that VPN (aka IPSEC) gets 50Mb/s of your pipe.  If the VPN is not using that traffic then it is available for general Internet access.

permit esp any any

match access-group ipsec

policy-map pm-QoS
  class cm-qos-ipsec
     bandwidth 50000

policy-map pm-Internet
 class class-default
  shape average 300M
    service-policy pm-QoS

interface Gigabit a/b/c

Philip, thanks for the quick response. It definitly looks like what I'm trying to accomplish. My only question (and forgive my bad judgement) but shouldn't the Internet policy shape average be 250M if IPSEC is getting 50 (even though) it doesn't use it all?

Negative.  The top policy shapes the circuit to what you actually get.  Everything is carved out of that.

OK great, thanks

I'm trying suggested config on a 3650 (running 16.6.2) and get following error when applying

service-policy to interface:   Invalid queuing class-map!!! Queuing actions supported only with dscp/cos/qos-group/precedence/exp based classification!!!

I have run this config and when i specify the service policy to the interface, and then run the "show policy-map interface" the policy is not applied.

@Philip D'Ath wrote:

permit esp any any

match access-group ipsec

policy-map pm-QoS
  class cm-qos-ipsec
     bandwidth 50000

policy-map pm-Internet
 class class-default
  shape average 300M
    service-policy pm-QoS

interface Gigabit a/b/c

command the policy is not showing...  Ideas?

You may need to remove the existing service policy before adding the new one.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So, you really want to shape at 250 and 50 Mbps for the two classes, or are you looking to guarantee those as minimum bandwidth guarantees?

What Philip provided does the latter. If you want the former (if supported on a 3650), might be something like:

policy-map pm-QoS
class cm-qos-ipsec
bandwidth 50000
shape average 50000000
class class-default
bandwidth 250000
shape average 250000000

BTW, if you do this, you don't need the "parent"'s policy-map. (This because you cannot exceed 300 Mbps, aggregate.)

Also BTW, if you go with Philip's recommendation (which, I suggest, is often "better"), you may want to add to his policy:
class class-default
bandwidth 250000
This because to "guarantee" you obtain the bandwidth allocations you want, you should allocate 100% of the bandwidth. Not defining a class-default allocation leaves it to the device to allocate the bandwidth proportion, which w/o an explicit class-default, we "hope" is the remaining 250 Mbps.

Lastly, I suspect some Cisco device shapers don't account for L2 overhead. If not, shape slower for the average or expected overhead.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card