cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Traffic shaping / policing inbound traffic

mpopgun
Level 1
Level 1

I have a host with a 20mb mpls connection, with several remotes all with single T1 MPLS connections.

I have my interesting traffic being tagged with my desired DSCP values. (i can cofirm this with show policy-map int ...) Currently I'm only tagging my citrix traffic EF, AF41, AF42, 21, my management (ssh, telnet, tftp,) into 21 and allowing most everything else to fall into the default-class

The issue I am running into is from a remote site, if i download a file from my host it completely saturates my T1 and my traffic tagged EF or AF41 and AF42 suffers. My file transfer is being tagged as default-class. If i send the file out to my host, the shaping works as expected and my higher priority traffic isn't affected.

Most of the examples i've found are for two locaitons with the same speed, and traffic shaping seems like it would work much easier, but because my host has so much more bandwidth, it never even slows down. Is policing the correct thing to do at each remote, give my default class a very low CIR, but allow  BE to the full T1 bandwidth? Or is there something more graceful since this is a private MPLS connection

Thanks for the help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

Sounds like you also need to apply some egress shaping/policing from the host towards the spokes.

I have attached a  good example from Ask the expert.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

Sounds like you also need to apply some egress shaping/policing from the host towards the spokes.

I have attached a  good example from Ask the expert.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Creating a class-map for each location was the only other thing i could think of, i was just hoping there was a more elegant solution. Thanks for the example as well!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card