Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble using Break Key sequence to access ROMmon on a Cisco Router

boclay
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Use Space Bar to simulate Break Key Sequence

Read this article if you are trying to generate a Break Key Sequence to access ROMmon, and the Break Key sequence does NOT seem to make it to the router.

Today, I needed to access ROMmon on an IR1101 Industrial Router for password recovery. Unfortunately, the Break Key sequence was NOT making it to the router. I know the Break-Key sequence (Ctrl-Fn-B or Fn-B) on my Lenovo laptop works because I used it recently to break into a different router. That router has an RJ45 console port. The IR1101 has a USB mini console port, so my Lenovo laptop was using a different serial port driver when connecting to the IR1101.

The work-around was to “simulate” a Break Key by changing the baud rate of my connection in Putty to 1200 and pressing the space bar. I found this information in a very old post where the author mentions HyperTerm and using a PS/2 (Does anyone else besides me remember the PS/2?)

Here are the steps:
Complete these steps to simulate a break key sequence:

Connect to the router with these terminal settings:

1200 baud rate
    No parity
    8 data bits
    1 stop bit
    No flow control

You no longer see any output on your screen, and this is normal.

Power cycle (switch off and then on) the router and press the SPACEBAR for 10-15 seconds in order to generate a signal similar to the break sequence.

Disconnect your terminal, and reconnect with a 9600 baud rate. You enter the ROM Monitor mode.

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for posting your experience with this. I have posted suggestions about this approach using baud of 300. Interesting that 1200 also works. I guess the main thing is the terminal emulator needs to transmit enough slower than what the device is expecting that the device treats it as a break signal.

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card