Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Trouble with RIP routing

Hi,

For the last hours i've been trying to implement dynamic routing on my workspace and kept running into the same problem. I've created the routes, but for some reason they dont show up when i try the command

"show ip route"

and can't ping from one pc in one network to another pc on another network.

I appreciated if someone could help me solve this problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

By default RIP auto summarizes and sends version 1. I verified this with the

"show ip protocols" 

command. This means it will only advertise the classful boundary, and based on your network you broke the 10.10.0.0 network up. Router RIP only sees that as the 10.0.0.0/8 network. So when all routers advertise it with auto-summary and version 1 then they are all advertising a 10.0.0.0/8 network and not the subnets you configured, thus they don't receive updates from their neighbors since they think they already have it locally connected.

Once I did the following commands, everything seemed to work. I only tested 5 hosts but it seemed to be working.

config t
router rip
no auto-summary
version 2
exit

Hope that helps

-David

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hello,

By default RIP auto summarizes and sends version 1. I verified this with the

"show ip protocols" 

command. This means it will only advertise the classful boundary, and based on your network you broke the 10.10.0.0 network up. Router RIP only sees that as the 10.0.0.0/8 network. So when all routers advertise it with auto-summary and version 1 then they are all advertising a 10.0.0.0/8 network and not the subnets you configured, thus they don't receive updates from their neighbors since they think they already have it locally connected.

Once I did the following commands, everything seemed to work. I only tested 5 hosts but it seemed to be working.

config t
router rip
no auto-summary
version 2
exit

Hope that helps

-David

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, just want to mention, even Cisco's RIPv2 has some remaining classful "quirks".  Assuming you want to not be bump into any of them, suggest using, if supported, a classless protocol such as OSPF or EIGRP (although they too, may need the no auto-summary command).

Your alternative is to use classful networks, as they were intended to be used.  I haven't looked at your attachment, but if you use RIPv1, for example, with 192.168.x.x.24 networks (i.e. Class C), suspect everything would also work as expected.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card