Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Troubleshoooting Redundant Fiber Connections on a Network

Hi,

First time post here.  I would like some guidance if possible on troubleshooting redundant fiber links between 3 switches at the access layer and then a central switch at the distribution layer, which then goes to a router.  All switches are just working at layer two.  With the router doing doing all the layer 3 stuff.  I have included a picture of the layout.    This is only showing the fiber trunks between the switches.

My question is this.  If one of the links go down say sw1 2/0/49.  To test this port I take the working fiber connection from from sw1 1/0/50 ( which goes to sw3) and put it into Unit 2 2/0/49 to see if it might be a cable or port issue on sw2.    All Vlan's are the same  through out.

All fiber ports are configured the same on sw1, with only the description and channel-group being different:

T2409swt0001#sh run int gi 1/0/49
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 244 bytes
!
interface GigabitEthernet1/0/49
 description IDF 2 - T2409swt0002
 switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
 switchport trunk allowed vlan 1-79,81-4094
 switchport mode trunk
 snmp trap mac-notification change added
 channel-group 2 mode on
end

I was told we are not allowed to move the fiber from any trunk port that is assigned to a different switch for troubleshooting.  Is there a good reason for this?  I think I just figured it out.  It seems obvious after drawing this out that the main difference here is the channel-groups or I believed they are also called ether-channel.    I haven't got to this in my studies yet, obviously I need to.  It seems to me that that will cause a problem by trying to split the same channel-group to two switches right?

Thanks!

Mike

2 Replies 2

brettwhitaker
Level 1
Level 1

Since all of your switch uplinks are in an etherchannel, you do not want to move ports arround for testing. You will cause major issues, ether channels do load balancing between all of the cables in a channel. If you do move the ports your core switch could send frames to the wrong switch and they would be dropped, and cause a lot of retransmission attempts, and putting undo load over your network. If they were not in a channel group there would be spanning tree loops in this setup.

here is a link to help you understand etherchannels.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/lan-switching/etherchannel/12023-4.html

Thanks Brett,

Much appreciated, also thanks for the link!

Mike

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card