Views
Helpful
Replies

Trying to assign my 2nd WAN port a Static IP

Jimmy Sauvageau
Level 1
Level 1

Good morning,

I'm trying to configure my 2nd WAN port on my 891F Router for a SIP Port. We have a 5 Static IP Bundle wiht our ISP. When I try to configure my second WAN port with a different Static IP that was provided by our ISP, I get the "IP Address overlaps with GigabitEthernet 8" (other WAN port). There's got to be a way for me to configure my second WAN port with a Public Static IP.

Any suggestions?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You cant have 2 ips in the same subnet range in the same devices routing table assigned to diff interfaces or it will get confused and not know how to route that's why its flagging it as an error  , if you want to do that you would need to use a vrf and separate the routing tables that way one is bound to say routing table A\ and 1 is bound to routing table B , or else ask the ISP to split the subnet its given you into /30s , so you can use them on multiple interfaces

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi

You cant have 2 ips in the same subnet range in the same devices routing table assigned to diff interfaces or it will get confused and not know how to route that's why its flagging it as an error  , if you want to do that you would need to use a vrf and separate the routing tables that way one is bound to say routing table A\ and 1 is bound to routing table B , or else ask the ISP to split the subnet its given you into /30s , so you can use them on multiple interfaces

I see, I have requested to our ISP to split the IPs into different subnets. Now I guess I have to wait. Thanks Mark.

azibnaseem
Level 1
Level 1

Hi [@jimmy.sauvageau@brunnet.com] ,

Is both IP's are in the same Subnet?

Regards'

Yes they are, it's a 5 static IP bundle /29 subnet.

Hey [@jimmy.sauvageau@brunnet.com] ,

Then Mr. Mark Malone said right that ask your ISP to provide another Subnet or Split this Subnet into /30 Mask.

Regards'

girish_p1
Level 1
Level 1

Yes this is a right option. You can create different VRFs and assign the different ports to the different VRFs and thus the problem can be solved however it will need more stuff to configure the VRFs

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card