cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

trying to get a 2610 router back to default settings and it loops continually while booting

dallen00111111
Level 1
Level 1

I have an old 2610 router.  I have the laptop connected to the console port (with PuTTY if it matters), power on the router, wait to let it go through all the steps and give me a prompt, so I can rest it to the default configuration.  The problem occurs when it just goes into a loop while booting up.

It looks like it got the software loaded and then it gives a "System received a Bus Error exception", with the following details.

signal=0xA, code=0x200, context= 0x80e92918, PC=0x803f77f8, Vector 0x200, SP= 0x80edc020.

It has installed and is trying to boot IOS c2600 (C2600-I-M) version 12.2(5d), release fc1.

After giving the buss error, it waits for several seconds, then starts over again with boot strap, program load, decompressing software, loading frmware, and tries to load the code.  The other information it puts on the terminal session is: entry 0x80008000, size 0x5014f0, Single C2600 single ethernet, four port ethernet CPU.

I want to wipe our config information off it and put it back to the default config, so it can be disposed of and not have any of our info on it.

The closest thing that I can remember seeing recently was when I tried to update the ASA software and we didn't have enough memory in the ASA to support the new software.  Is there a good way to resolve this or is the router trashed?

Thanks, in advance

5 Replies 5

Hi

Check this website:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-121-mainline/7949-crashes-buserror-troubleshooting.html

Also try to change the config register to 0x2142 and type reset from rommon. I remember the default config-register is 0x2102.

:-) 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Ok, I got into rommon.  I confreg 0x2142 and reset the router.  It is still in a loop.

The router has not been in use since before I got here (been in storage).  It also looks like the router has 64M of RAM.  If that is true, then the text-base + data-base may be larger than the RAM.  The error message said that text-base=0x863f77f8, data-base=0x80edc020, entry=0x80008000, size= 0x5014f0. 

If this is the way any of the monitors I wrote work, RAM used = entry+size (approximately), which is smaller than the 64M RAM I believe it has installed. Since it never actually comes up in IOS, I can't run any of the suggested diagnostics to double check any of my guesses.

Any more suggestions?

Hi

it could be a problem related to the software, Im not sure if you have still support for this model in order to upgrade it. Please check this link:

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ios-nx-os-software/ios-software-releases-121-mainline/7949-crashes-buserror-troubleshooting.html

Also check if it is a hardware failure try to execute the hardware failure flow displayed on the website. A module could be the problem.

Regards. 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi

Try to follow the hardware failure flow displayed on the website, a module could be the problem. 

Regards. 

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Probably a hardware issue, but you could try putting the router into rommon and use the tftpdnld utility to load new IOS and see if it would then boot.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card