Views
Helpful
Replies

tunnel is up but cannot ping

23nick
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts,

I have configured tunnel on both DR-WAN & A-WAN, the tunnel is up but i am unable to ping any tunnel ip. What i am trying to achieve is to send client SPR subnet from DR-WAN to A-WAN and vice versa through tunnel. So i would be advertising more subnets in vrf SPR. But now i am stuck with this issue. Please help

Please find my attached configs. Any help would be much appreciated.

@Richard Burts @Georg Pauwen.

topology.JPG

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello
Looks like you not initiating ping in the correct place - Try ping within the vrf 

ping vrf SPR ip 10.1.0.9x

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

Hi Nick,

One more thing you need to add is a tunnel key to each tunnel.

Example:-

int tunnel1

tunnel key 1

int tunnel2

tunnel key 2

HTH,
Meheretab

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello
Looks like you not initiating ping in the correct place - Try ping within the vrf 

ping vrf SPR ip 10.1.0.9x

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Very good point from @paul driver. If that doesn't fix the issue then I have a couple requests 

- can you ping the tunnel destination specifying the ping source as the tunnel source? For both routers. 

- would you post the output of the commands on both routers 

show ip osp interface 

show ip ospf neighbor 

HTH

Rick

Thankyou very much @Richard Burts and @paul driver for you help as i am not very good at vrf. Hence practising vrf with tunnel. Could you please help me with one more thing, don't know what i am missing here

Now when i created another tunnel(tunnel2) and ospf for vrf SB. My tunnel 1 is up but not able to advertise routes to A-WAN-R01 and vice versa and also not able to ping tunnel 1 ip. Below are the configs

A-WAN-R01-config1.JPGA-WAN-R01-config2.JPGDR-WAN-R01-config1.JPGDR-WAN-R01-config2.JPG

Thanks

Nick

Hi Nick,

One more thing you need to add is a tunnel key to each tunnel.

Example:-

int tunnel1

tunnel key 1

int tunnel2

tunnel key 2

HTH,
Meheretab

Hello @Meheretab Mengistu 

I do agree the tunnel key command allows to multiplex / demultiplex the GRE packets of the different tunnels that are sharing the same external IP addresses and the same IPSec profile so an additional parameter is needed to discriminate packets of the two tunnels.

Best Regards

Giuseppe

Thankyou @Giuseppe Larosa @Meheretab Mengistu @Richard Burts @paul driver . Now i am able to form ospf neighbor ship for multiple vrf across their respective tunnel

DR-WAN-R01#sh ip ospf neighbor

Neighbor ID       Pri State Dead Time         Address      Interface
10.123.124.98 0 FULL/ - 00:00:39   10.123.124.98 Tunnel2
10.1.0.98         0 FULL/ - 00:00:31      10.1.0.98       Tunnel1

Thanks

Nick

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card