cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ubr 7100 -- failover or load balancing using 2 DSL circuits

philstraton
Level 1
Level 1

I support a ubr 7100 with 50 endusers. I would like to set up either failover or load balancing using the 2 DSL lines that are attached.

When one of the DSL circuits went down today, none of the endusers could connect to the Internet.

I had to reconfigure as follows:

no ip name-server nn.nn.130.23

ip name-server nn.nn.28.12

no ip name-server nn.nn.131.5

ip name-server nn.nn.31.12

no route-map Mega permit 10

match ip address 8

set ip next-hop nn.nn.48.1

route-map Mega permit 10

match ip address 8

set ip next-hop nn.nn.12.101

interface FastEthernet0/1

no ip address nn.nn.48.1 255.255.255.0

ip address nn.nn.12.102 255.255.255.252

Any suggestions? I know about routing BGP, but how do I set this up using statics?

1 Reply 1

Not applicable

If you have 2 different circuits each one with a separate block of addresses, and IF your ISP is not

performing some sort of source ip so it matches the block you have (something like the "verify

source unicast" command in IOS) then you could load balance your OUTGOING traffic to the

internet, but return traffic will always come back through the link that owns the ip address your

hosts used to go out. This is a limitation you would have on routing unless you own your block of

addresses and can run BGP with your ISP(s) in both links. Another solution would be for the router to load balance traffic out using both block of addresses that way the return traffic would come back on the corresponding link, but this would not allow you to statically assign an ip address to the hosts in your network. This would need to be worked out with NAT on the router and it would be load balanced per session.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco