cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to connect to Cisco router through SSH

celinafregoso99
Level 1
Level 1

SSHing to my Cisco Router ends up hanging indefinitely.

When attempting to ssh -vvv from Ubuntu to my Cisco router (IOS 15.8) with the SSH command, It says Connection established.. While directly connected to the router via console, I can see:

Router#SH-2.0-OpenSSH_7.2p2 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.10
% Invalid input detected at '^' marker.

So my SSH client sent something, but I'm not sure if this particular thing sent is intended. I can also see a reflection of my console through the SSH client as I update it directly from the console, e.g. If I send Router>enable to my router directly through the console I will see debug1: ssh_exchange_identification: Router>enable on my SSH client. Image of connection.

Here is my config:

username cisco password 0 cisco
line vty 0 4
password cisco
login local
transport input ssh

I've also already generated my RSA keys on the router.

Some information that may or may not be part of the problem:

I'm using eve-ng.
Telnetting works.
Attempting to SSH through paramiko results in: Error reading ssh protocol banner'utf-8' codec can't decode byte 0xff in position 0 while I've already configured banner_timeout.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

post the output of:

debug ip ssh detail

In addition to the debug output it might be helpful to see the output of show ip ssh

HTH

Rick

Hello
As test disable dns lookup on the rtr vty lines, specify ssh ver 2 and decrease ssh timeout interval then try again
line vty 0 4
transport preferred none
exit
ip ssh ver 2
ip ssh time-out 10

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card