cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to create L3 portchannel in Cisco 3850

Yuslivan
Level 1
Level 1

I Try to make layer 3 Port channel in 3850-48T switch, but i found error like this :

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config-if)#inter ra g1/0/45-48

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config-if-range)#no switchport

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config-if-range)#channel-group 1 mode active
Command rejected (Port-channel1, Gi1/0/45): Either port is L2 and port-channel is L3, or vice-versa

% Range command terminated because it failed on GigabitEthernet1/0/45

My 3850 have IP BASE license  and operating Stack switching : 

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config-if-range)#do show license ri
Slot# License Name Type Period left
----------------------------------------------------
1 ipbase Permanent Lifetime
License Level on Reboot: ipbase

Slot# License Name Type Period left
2 ipbase Permanent Lifetime
License Level on Reboot: ipbase

I try another way to configure like this, but i have another error notification :

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config-if)#inter ra g1/0/45-48

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config-if-range)#switchport

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config-if-range)#channel-group 1 mode active

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config)interface po1

DRC-INSP-SWT-01(config-if)no switchport
Command rejected: Not a convertible port.

Please help

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hello,

try and create the port channel interface first, and then assign the individual interfaces to the channel group:

interface port-channel 1

no switchport

interface range g1/0/45-48

no switchport

channel-group 1 mode active

View solution in original post

Hello

Just like to add - I think having the port-channel created first has caused this error which for a L3 PC shouldnt be the case, It wasnt because of the creation of the PC but because the no switchport command wasnt applied to it.

You can also do the following and it should work.

Delete any related port channnel associated with these two physical interfaces., also default the physical interfaces and recreate from scratch on the physical interfaces and add the no switchport command then let the port-channel get created automatcially

You should be able then to proceed with the ip addressing of the PC itself.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Yuslivan
Level 1
Level 1

thanks paul for the reply.

i've solve the problem. it think its right to do this step :

1. create manually the PC interface and make it as layer 3 interface

2. enter the group of physical interface and make them layer 3 interface also

3. bundled the physical interface to the PC that we configured before in the step 1.

thanks,

yuslifan

8 Replies 8

Hello,

try and create the port channel interface first, and then assign the individual interfaces to the channel group:

interface port-channel 1

no switchport

interface range g1/0/45-48

no switchport

channel-group 1 mode active

Hello

Just like to add - I think having the port-channel created first has caused this error which for a L3 PC shouldnt be the case, It wasnt because of the creation of the PC but because the no switchport command wasnt applied to it.

You can also do the following and it should work.

Delete any related port channnel associated with these two physical interfaces., also default the physical interfaces and recreate from scratch on the physical interfaces and add the no switchport command then let the port-channel get created automatcially

You should be able then to proceed with the ip addressing of the PC itself.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Thank you very much, this really worked for me. 

Could you please tell me why we issued the command, 

no switchport on portchannel. What it really does ? Thank you.

You issued the command, no switchport on portchannel to enable L3 on the bundled ports. L3 ports can route the packets as router interfaces do.

Thanks so much!!

On a side note, this is an excerpt from the 3850 configuration guide. The order in which the commands needed to form the channel apparently matters:

With Layer 2 ports, use the channel-group interface configuration command to dynamically create the port-channel interface. You also can use the interface port-channel port-channel-number global configuration command to manually create the port-channel interface, but then you must use the channel-group channel-group-number command to bind the logical interface to a physical port. The channel-group-number can be the same as the port-channel-number, or you can use a new number. If you use a new number, the channel-group command dynamically creates a new port channel.

With Layer 3 ports, you should manually create the logical interface by using the interface port-channel global configuration command followed by the no switchport interface configuration command. You then manually assign an interface to the EtherChannel by using the channel-group interface configuration command.

With Layer 3 ports, use the no switchport interface command to configure the interface as a Layer 3 interface, and then use the channel-group interface configuration command to dynamically create the port-channel interface.

Yuslivan
Level 1
Level 1

thanks paul for the reply.

i've solve the problem. it think its right to do this step :

1. create manually the PC interface and make it as layer 3 interface

2. enter the group of physical interface and make them layer 3 interface also

3. bundled the physical interface to the PC that we configured before in the step 1.

thanks,

yuslifan

Hello

Correct as I said it should have worked the first time even doing the l2 sequence way   But for the manually created pc, you basically mixed both l2/l3 ways together 

glad it now working for you!

res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card