cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to log into redundant switch_ssh: connect to host xx.xxx.x.15 port 22: Connection refused

s k
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

My apologies if I'm unable to put the question right, I am a beginner and would not understand why Im not able to log into the redundant device. These are Cisco WS-6509-E running the WS-SUP720-3B

I am trying to do an IOS upgrade on 2 devices

Device A

Device B (Redundant to Device A)

These are Access level switches and Im using SecureCRT to log into the devices. I am successfully able to log in the Device A and back up the configs. However when trying to log in to Device B - it gives me the below error

ssh: connect to host xx.xxx.z.15 port 22: Connection refused

IP of device A is xx.xxx.z.14.

What can be done in this case? Thanks in Advance !

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

With the config it could be easier. 

This error can occur if :

- ssh is disabled 

- transport input is set to telnet on vty lines 

- missing the crypto key 

- acl on the switch itself or in between you and this switch (or firewall) filtering ssh access 

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

View solution in original post

Hi

If you cannot log in remotely you should go via console or request connect a PC to reach it remotely.

Now if you are using local credentials like: example:  username Cisco priv 15 password Cisco123

Assuming SSH is already configure, you need to verify the following:

no aaa new-model

crypto key generate rsa  (at least 1024)

ip ssh version 2

line vty 0 15
access-group <ACL> in    <--- if you are using ACL to manage the device, check if your IP address is allowed 
transport input ssh
login local

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Francesco Molino
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi 

With the config it could be easier. 

This error can occur if :

- ssh is disabled 

- transport input is set to telnet on vty lines 

- missing the crypto key 

- acl on the switch itself or in between you and this switch (or firewall) filtering ssh access 

Thanks 

PS: Please don't forget to rate and mark as correct answer if this answered your question 

Thanks
Francesco
PS: Please don't forget to rate and select as validated answer if this answered your question

Hi

If you cannot log in remotely you should go via console or request connect a PC to reach it remotely.

Now if you are using local credentials like: example:  username Cisco priv 15 password Cisco123

Assuming SSH is already configure, you need to verify the following:

no aaa new-model

crypto key generate rsa  (at least 1024)

ip ssh version 2

line vty 0 15
access-group <ACL> in    <--- if you are using ACL to manage the device, check if your IP address is allowed 
transport input ssh
login local

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card