cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unable to ping server but can ping default gateway

prgamolvej
Level 1
Level 1

Me and my colleagues are having trouble pinging our server via our router and laptop when we are able to ping the default gateway and everything else except our server and the server was able to ping the DNS. We have also tried ping source it via our port-channel but it's still isn't pinging. Does anyone know what might caused this? Unfortunately our company has a policy that prevents me from posting the full show run but I can post specific section of the code if you would like to see.

Thank you in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Before no, the server cannot ping the gateway but now we turned off the server and turn it back on and reconfigured it from scratch and it worked again, but this seems to be a reoccurring problem that keeps happening randomly. Is there a reason to why this might happens? Is there a way that we could possibly medigate this in the future?

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

what is the Server IP ? what your souce IP you pinging ?

what is the Server Gateway ? does the Server able to ping Gateway ? (check any firewall on Server, disable and test it)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Before no, the server cannot ping the gateway but now we turned off the server and turn it back on and reconfigured it from scratch and it worked again, but this seems to be a reoccurring problem that keeps happening randomly. Is there a reason to why this might happens? Is there a way that we could possibly medigate this in the future?

Hello,

the reason could be that the ARP entry for the server is timing out.

Try and add a static MAC to IP address mapping on the router (below is an example):

Router(config)#arp 192.168.11.2 20cf.303a.f7c9 arpa

I'm going to try that if anything happens again, thank you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card