Views
Helpful
Replies

Unreadable character at startup

Romain.Boivin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Anyone knows why my SG300-28 PoE start with Unreadable character on PuTTY (Serial connexion) ?

caractere_illisible_cisco.PNG

Thanks !

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

To access SG300-28 switch via PuTTY you should set up speed at 115200 baud.

Best regards,

Antonin

View solution in original post

Unreadable characters on the console connection are almost always a sign of mismatch between the speed setting of your terminal emulator and the speed set on the console. The response from Georg reflects the typical Cisco default speed for console of 9600. The response from Antonin may very well be correct that the speed should be 115200. If that does not work then keep trying other speeds.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Hello,

assuming your Putty settings are correct (9600-8-N-1), which console cable are you using ? The one that comes with the switch (9 pin serial) should work, the blue ones don't.

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

To access SG300-28 switch via PuTTY you should set up speed at 115200 baud.

Best regards,

Antonin

Unreadable characters on the console connection are almost always a sign of mismatch between the speed setting of your terminal emulator and the speed set on the console. The response from Georg reflects the typical Cisco default speed for console of 9600. The response from Antonin may very well be correct that the speed should be 115200. If that does not work then keep trying other speeds.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Romain.Boivin
Level 1
Level 1
Thank you guys ! It's working with 115200 baud speed setting.
Thanks a lot.

I am glad that you got it working and that our suggestions pointed you to the solution. These forums are excellent places to ask questions and to learn more about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the forums.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card