cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Updating IOS 15.x on a 2900 router - is a new license required ?

andyhibbert
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Cisco 2921 router running c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M4.bin.

Its licensed for    ipbase, ipbasek9, Permanent and uc,uck9,Permanent   (I'm using the router as a voice gateway)

I'm looking to update the IOS to c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.150-1.M5.bin as I'm told it has a fix for some DSP problems.

So the question is, do I need to obtain a new license key to apply this update or am I covered by the existing license on the router.

Thanks

Andy

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Andy,

This is a maintenance update - moving from M4 to M5. For permanent licenses, this upgrade is possible without any further requirements on the licensing, i.e. you can install the upgrade without worries, your licenses will remain valid and activated.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Andy,

This is a maintenance update - moving from M4 to M5. For permanent licenses, this upgrade is possible without any further requirements on the licensing, i.e. you can install the upgrade without worries, your licenses will remain valid and activated.

Best regards,

Peter

Applied the update without any problems - thanks.

Just noticed on the Cisco download site that there is a later IOS , c2900-universalk9-mz.SPA.151-4.M.bin.

Would the existing router licenses cover me for this one also ? It's an update to 15.1 whereas I have a 15.0.x version or does it not matter?

Andy

It will cover you.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card