cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading NPE-400 to NPE-G1 (Need Gig ports for MoE/Traffic shape)

Shannon Sutter
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to get some feedback on the project I am about to describe.

Current Config:

We are running 75Mb of Metro over Ethernet (shared internet and remote offices) to our NOC.

This 100Mb Link connection connects to a 7204VXR NPE-400 (100Mb Ethernet port), here is where the traffic gets shaped, this router is connected to our main Catalyst 4507 Sup V (unfortunately Sup V does not support traffic shape, hardware limitation)

We are adding more offices to our network increasing the Metro over Ethernet bandwidth (reaching total 130Mb of MoE) and our current 100Mb ports on 7204 are going to be the bottle neck.

Upgrade needed:

With the new MoE configuration we are going to need at least two Gig ports to handle 130Mb of traffic on the 7204VXR and it is why I am considering upgrading our NPE-400 to a NPE-G1.

Questions:            

Am I on the right track by upgrading our 7204VXR NPE-400 with an NPE-G1 ?

Is there any other option as far as MoE traffic shaping? Unfortunately our 4507 Sup V only supports Traffic Policing and not shaping.

Any help/advice would be very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Zeek

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

NPE-G1 is a little outdated but still a good product, that should do what you require.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As the NPE-G1 has built-in gig ports, that's probably your "easiest" option.  However, your NPE-400 can probably deal with 130 Mbps.  So, another option would be just installing one or two gig ports.  (One gig port?  As you're only using 130 Mbps, you use just one gig port, on the 7200, in a router on a stick configuration with your 4500.)

However, your NPE-400 can probably deal with 130 Mbps.

Hardly. I was in the Cisco testing team for the NPE-400 when introduced, and it did just what it was labelled about, 400 Mbps uni-directional under ideal conditions. Not 130 bi-dir in real world.

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Paolo Bevilacqua wrote:

However, your NPE-400 can probably deal with 130 Mbps.

Hardly. I was in the Cisco testing team for the NPE-400 when introduced, and it did just what it was labelled about, 400 Mbps uni-directional under ideal conditions. Not 130 bi-dir in real world.

Paolo, I thought the 400 was its KPPS rating, no?

You're saying initial introduction testing showed ideal conditions 400 Mbps unidirectional (or 200 Mbps bidirectional?) yet it couldn't support real-world 130 Mbps bidirectional, correct?

This initial testing was pre-CEF?  Also pre-TurboACL and perhaps other features moved to fast path?  No real-world traffic forwarding improvement since device introduction?

How I figured: I assumed that 400 does represent KPPS for 64 byte packets (which seems to be the case looking at the attached Cisco router performance sheet) and allowing for all minimum size Ethernet packets, which requires 148.8 Kpps per 100 Mbps, and doubling for duplex and allowing for 130 Mbps, requires 386.88 Kpps.  Of course this is (too) close to 100%, and CPU will be also be consumed by other configuration options, but generally "real" traffic isn't all minimum size packets.  (I.e. I would expect real-world CPU demand to be at least half of all minimum size packets.)

This is why I wrote ". . . your NPE-400 can probably deal with 130 Mbps.", at least according Cisco published specs.

Paolo since you did work for Cisco, are these specifications inaccurate?

Paolo, what am I missing in my thinking, above?  Are you sure the NPE-400 would be inadequate?  If so, could you clarify why?

PS:

In one of Zeek's later posts, he notes PA-GE and NPE-G1 about the same price (implying he doesn't have any 7200 gig ports).  For the same (or nearly the same) price, the NPE-G1 would clearly be a better choice.

Hi Joseph, yes I can tell you that in practice the NPE-400 is a bit too slow for the OP requirements. However it is also an obsolete product, so whatever exact perfomances it could deliver, is not important anymore.

Shannon Sutter
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for your feedback.

I guess I can go either way based on my configuration, NPE-G1 or add 1 Gigabit Ethernet Port Adapter (PA-GE) to my current NPE-400, the thing is that the price of a used PA-GE gig port is very close to a used NPE-G1, so I might go with the NPE-G1 since it has built in 3 gig ports and a better performance that my old NPE-400.

No, not either way. In the internet of today, for your requirements, if you want to keep the existing chassis, you need NPE-G1 or G2. Otherwise you will be wasting time and money.

Sounds good!!, thanks for the help

You are welcome, please remember to rate helpful postings clicking on the stars below.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card