cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Use different loopbacks for devices running multiple routing protocols?

CiscoPurpleBelt
Level 6
Level 6

Is it better practice to use let's say loopback 0 for bgp and loopback 1 for OSPF for applicable config parameters on the same device?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I dont think so, because If we are going to configure OSPF as IGP protocol for the BGP (with update source loopback enabled) in that case the loopback reachability via IGP is must and if you are going to use different loopbacks for a different protocol, not sure about the reason why we have to that. 

Please let me know the scenario in which you are working currently.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

I dont think so, because If we are going to configure OSPF as IGP protocol for the BGP (with update source loopback enabled) in that case the loopback reachability via IGP is must and if you are going to use different loopbacks for a different protocol, not sure about the reason why we have to that. 

Please let me know the scenario in which you are working currently.

Please do not hesitate to click the STAR button if you are satisfied with my answer.

Yes that is what I was thinking.
My only assumption would be to just separate the different parameters between different protocols for identity or t-shooting purposes I guess.
No scenario in particular. Just cross-checking so I know what is the best practice.

I completely understand that, the way you thought very unique and appreciate this question, however, using a unique loopback will not help us in troubleshooting as it only depends on the log we check in show logging. 

Loopbacks are just for reachability giving you a control plane access to a remote device. 

If you found my answers to be helpful please do not miss you click the star button....

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card