Views
Helpful
Replies

Variable traffic shaping on an interface

lorro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I am looking for any help, I'm trying to configure traffic shaping on an interface which connects to an MPLS network. The problem I have is that two of our four sites have lower bandwidth connections than the other two. Site A and B are 500Mbps but C & D are only 100Mbps. I wanted to shape the traffic to different rates depending on the destination IP addresses like this:

policy-map pm-mpls-queue
 class cm-ef
  priority level 1 percent 10
 class cm-af4
  priority level 2 percent 23
 class cm-af3
  bandwidth remaining percent 50
 class class-default
  bandwidth remaining percent 50

class-map match-all cm-site-c-traffic
 match access-group name site-c
class-map match-all cm-site-d-traffic
 match access-group name side-d

policy-map pm-mpls-shaping
 class cm-site-c-traffic
  shape average 100000000
  service-policy pm-mpls-queue
 class cm-site-d-traffic
  shape average 100000000
 class class-default
  shape average 500000000

The access-lists used in the class-maps permit the networks at the destination site. 

When I try to apply this to the interface I get:

Child policy classification should be similar to parent policy classification

So I guess I can't mix access-list based classification with DSCP. Does anyone have any experience of applying this type of policy? Is there a better way to classify the traffic going to each site?

Any help is greatly appreciated! 

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

BTW, if both sites are half gig, you need a class for each.

Also, BTW, what's the interface egress bandwidth?  If less than 1.2 gig, you should have 3 level hierarchical QoS.

I've often done QoS policies, like yours, years ago w/o issue.  However, is the policy interface actually using MPLS label?  If so, have not done that and wonder is you need to use MPLS experimental bits.

Thanks for your reply. I'm configuring the policy on the switch interface which connects to the MPLS router. We have no access to the MPLS router itself. 

Ah, well as switches, generally, have less QoS capabilities, it might be as simple as a platform limitation.  My usage, of such policies, was all on routers.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card